Hello To All !!!!!!!!!!!

Jarrow Pete
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Jarrow Pete »

Cisco/Gag, Alfie Clements marriage to Rita was stormy from day one, he would not allow her to have any contact with her family. Remember going to their house off Dean Road with the wife who used to live next door to Rita, got a phone call off Rita the next day to say that Alfie had gone beserk when he got in and smashed the tv because she had guests visiting. Last I heard she was living in a battered wifes home at Ashington where they used to have a lovely big house.Last saw Jimmy in the Hill with Slim Knox, this was just before Slim died, could hardly recognise him he had lost that much weight, Jimmy was into teach yourself electronics at the time and I was amaz\ed at what he had learnt as he was not exactly the brain of Britain when we were at Redwell.
Kevin was living on the Sutton Trust when he died suddenly, I had just started going in the Lake on a Saturday night after an absense of about 25 years and used to see Kevin in the bar, first time he was wearing a white cable knit jumper and I asked him if it was the same one I could picture him in his youth.(Cisco have a picture in my mind of you wearing a white roll neck jumper at one time) You have not mentioned the McKeiths who lived over the road from Clements, as far as I know Malcolm is still locked up for hanging his son from the back of a door, Connie married a lad called Dave who was an electrician from Westoe pit, last time I saw them Connie was a lollipop lady on Nevison Avenue near were they lived
Kenny Clements was a butcher and worked in Jarrow at one time, his wife was a hairdresser and used to do mine and the wifes hair at one time.
Gag you mentioned the Leas, we used to call Mrs Lee, Prossy Lea remember that she had a son older than me and a daughter about my age, Prossy married Walter Fraser from the Lake later on, Walter was the brother in law of Eddy Lovatt who also played darts in the Lake.
Cisco
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Cisco »

Pete I knew what Alfie Clements' marriage was like but I did'nt want to say. I knew Rita and her sister Eilleen both nice girls, that was before Alfie married Rita. I remember one night he dragged his dad out of the Lake and gave him a good hiding, the poor old feller was always getting a slap, when you went to the house he always sat quiet and never spoke.
A while back the rumour was he moved out of Shields because of a fall out with K Collins.
Jimmy lives in Grotto Road and has done for a while now.
I used to meet up with Jimmy Knox in the Marsden Inn, the weight loss was dramatic, I knew him from being a boy and he was always a fat lad, he was also one of the funniest, he used to come from the riding stables where he worked stinking of horses, never a dull moment when he was in the Marsden you could hear him all over the bar.

The McKeiths lived over the backs to the Clements, I knew Malcolm very well also used to Connie very well, still can't believe he did that, the minds a funny thing I guess.

The last time I seen Kevin Walker was when I picked him up at the Hill and dropped him off at the Marsden Inn and he told me he was living in Farding Square where he went after his mam died.

Fancy mentioning mrs Lee's nickname.

Pete how could you have a picture in your mind of me wearing a roll neck sweater when you don't know me :?
I've played darts with Eddy Lovatt in the Lake
gag
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by gag »

Hello Lads. Malcolm Mckeith was a bit of a strange lad as far as I can remember. I heard a tale that he once jumped off the outhouse roof with a blanket for a parachute !. Jimmy Knox was a great lad and you were always guaranteed a laugh when he was about. He was in the General Hospital the same time as my Dad and he had the place taken with his patter. I was shocked to see how much weight he had lost when I saw him last and was saddened to hear of his death. Jimmy Clements was another character. I was talking to him one time with my Dad and he mentioned that he was living in a flat in Westoe. There wasnt any toilet indoors and the one in the yard was broken so he had to jump on the old Triumph and race up to the Hill bar for a c**p whenever the need arose !. Sorry to hear about Rita and Alfie, I had no idea that her married life was so bad and I hope she has some peace now wherever she may be. Do you remember Joe Marshall at all ? he used to wander around Marsden all hours of the night. I understand that the medication he was taking made him what he was. One for Pete - Whatever happened to Martin Atkinson ?. I havent forgotton to get that telephone number, (John), that you asked me to get and as soon as I have it, I will pm you. Keep the memories coming lads !

cheers.
gag.
Jarrow Pete
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Jarrow Pete »

Gag, was talking to Martin about 2 weeks ago, when we left school he went to the Marine school and then went to sea with Marconi as a radio officer and now he drives a taxi and lives in Hebburn Village.His eldest sister who lost her husband last year owns Marrs corner shop in Stanhope road and runs it with her daughter. Ann was also a barmaid at the Harbour lights for a few years. The middle daughter Trisha married a ships officer a lot older than her and moved down South,have not seen her since the early 70s. Lily the youngest is a nurse and she divorced Dave her husband many years ago, she also lost her daughter Clair Coyley to cancer and is very active in fund raising for cancer care. My daughter was going out with her son for a while and she still sees Lily a lot, she still lives on Holder house estate.
Joe Marshall had Parkinsons disease and the medication he took kept him awake and he would wander round Marsden at all hours, his daughter Heather was a good friend of Jean my wife.
Going back to Martin its a funny world he is part of the committee from his estate objecting to the shipbreaking at Palmers yard, the managing director of the yard is Freddy Newman who lived in the bungalows across the road from Martin and your grandparents and who we all knocked about with in our youth.
Looking forward to contacting John again once you get details, used to go and sit with his dad when John was away in the army and he would tell me tales of when he worked down the pit. Was in their house when I first heard the song Sailor (ahit for Petula Clark) it was on the North East news and a bloke was singing it in the bows of the mailboat, I think he was Norwegion.
neil maxwell
Even Bigger Gob
Even Bigger Gob

Photo of March 7th.

Post by neil maxwell »

Hello all, I have just joined.

Re. the photo of March 7th.

Some of the others in the photo are familiar to me. Standing next to Decka is my late brother's best mate little Jackie Smith (with hair!). Standing behind Jackie with his face slightly obscured by jackie's head is Dougie Holmstrom.

I showed a copy of the photo to my 84year old mother who verified this. She said some of the others were also familiar to her but she just could not put a name to their faces. She reckons the photo must be a good 40 years old.
Jarrow Pete
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Jarrow Pete »

baldy.smith wrote:

8)
Welcome to the boards Neil, along with most of the others on here knew your Bob very well. The names on the photo are from the left
Derek Eliott, Terry Benham, Dougie Holmstrom, Jacky Smith, Nipper George, Clive Bloxham and Dave Sorlie.
Cisco
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Cisco »

Neil, I thought there was only three in your family, two brothers and a sister
neil maxwell
Even Bigger Gob
Even Bigger Gob

The fourth one.

Post by neil maxwell »

Cisco, I am the youngest Maxwell, born at 2 Chirton Grove in 1959. There is 8 years difference between myself and Paul, 12 years between me and Dorothy and Robert was 15 years the elder.

I too attended Redwell School (1970-75).

It has been fascinating to read previous messages as quite a lot of the names mentioned were either Paul or Robert's schoolmates or drinking pals.
Cisco
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Cisco »

Neil I knew your Bob and Paul very well, your Dorothy I only met the once and that would about 40 years ago.
I still see Paul every now and then, the last time I spoke to him was in the Marsden Inn, he was a good mate of mine.

Never you he had a younger brother!
neil maxwell
Even Bigger Gob
Even Bigger Gob

first day ar Redwell.

Post by neil maxwell »

Cisco, I thought most people knew.

For example on my first day at Redwell (September 1970) I saw all my fellow 1st years getting dragged off by the older kids in order to ''get the dumps'' (chucked into the sandpit or over the wall etc). When it was my turn all I heard was ''leave him alone it's Maxy's kid''. So I went undumped!

Later that day there was one teacher (name escapes me) who asked whether anyone had a brother or sister at the school. I told him yes and their names. He then snapped at me ''Ill keep my eye out for you then''

My first day at Redwell and my cards marked already!
gag
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by gag »

Hello Neil and Welcome to the boards mate. I used to go to school with your Paul. The last time I saw him, he had very bad legs and was using sticks to get around.

cheers.
gag.
gag
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by gag »

Hello Pete.
Thanks for the info on Martin mate, it made good reading. If I remember rightly, my old granda who you mentioned was a bit of a character to say the least ! My Dad once told me that my granda had told him that he was a bit of an expert on rose gardening and had ordered some from a catalogue. My Dad went over after the roses arrived and my Granda had planted them in the front garden. My granda stated that they would be the finest roses in Marsden when they bloomed. My Dad pointed out to him that it would be a long time before they bloomed as they were planted upside down ! (the roots were sticking up in the air !). When I was serving my time at Selwoods, Martin Atkinsons Dad, (Geoff), was always popping along and asking me to have a quick look at his car as it had a fault. This always happened when I was dressed up to go for a drink but he was a canny old guy so I didnt mind. I can remember your Dad as well mate and used to have a chat with him now and again about the pits. My marriage fell apart shortly after we got our own house and I eventually married Maureen Mack. Unfortunately, that one fell apart too ! Quite happy now though mate living in Amble and its great to talk to you.

cheers.
gag
Cisco
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Cisco »

Jarrow Pete wrote:Gag, was talking to Martin about 2 weeks ago, when we left school he went to the Marine school and then went to sea with Marconi as a radio officer and now he drives a taxi and lives in Hebburn Village.His eldest sister who lost her husband last year owns Marrs corner shop in Stanhope road and runs it with her daughter. Ann was also a barmaid at the Harbour lights for a few years. The middle daughter Trisha married a ships officer a lot older than her and moved down South,have not seen her since the early 70s. Lily the youngest is a nurse and she divorced Dave her husband many years ago, she also lost her daughter Clair Coyley to cancer and is very active in fund raising for cancer care. My daughter was going out with her son for a while and she still sees Lily a lot, she still lives on Holder house estate.
Joe Marshall had Parkinsons disease and the medication he took kept him awake and he would wander round Marsden at all hours, his daughter Heather was a good friend of Jean my wife.
Going back to Martin its a funny world he is part of the committee from his estate objecting to the shipbreaking at Palmers yard, the managing director of the yard is Freddy Newman who lived in the bungalows across the road from Martin and your grandparents and who we all knocked about with in our youth.
Looking forward to contacting John again once you get details, used to go and sit with his dad when John was away in the army and he would tell me tales of when he worked down the pit. Was in their house when I first heard the song Sailor (ahit for Petula Clark) it was on the North East news and a bloke was singing it in the bows of the mailboat, I think he was Norwegion.
Pete you mention Freddie Newman he used to drink in the Lake, I'd never seen him for over 30 years and I was at a funeral last year and was introduced to him, I would not have recognised him if it had not been for the introduction.
Jarrow Pete
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Jarrow Pete »

Cisco that wouldnt have been Kath Jacksons funeral by any chance, I was talking to Freddy at that one and also Arthur Smiths. Was suprised to see how Christine his wife had aged, they live in a big house at the top of Lawe Terrace looking over the harbour. Can remember in the back room of the Lake when they were courting and an old couple used to sit with us, they called him Tom and he took fits, his wife Lila looked like a lesbian, anyway can remember Christine asking Tom in complete innocence what were testicles, still laugh at her reaction when Tom told her.
Jarrow Pete
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Jarrow Pete »

Gag,with knocking about with Martin got to know his father very well, he served through the war deep sea on tankers and he used to tell us hair raising tales about the convoys. Did not get to know about his death for months until I bumped into Martin and he said his father left orders that no one was to be told. The same happened with Ronny Hunter, Lynn did not want anyone to know when he died.
Saw a death in the papers the other week from the pit houses Harry Patterson age 65. Was he a asst engineer at Whitburn at one time, if its the same lad I am thinking of he bred whippets or greyhonds.
Cisco
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Cisco »

Jarrow Pete wrote:Cisco that wouldnt have been Kath Jacksons funeral by any chance, I was talking to Freddy at that one and also Arthur Smiths. Was suprised to see how Christine his wife had aged, they live in a big house at the top of Lawe Terrace looking over the harbour. Can remember in the back room of the Lake when they were courting and an old couple used to sit with us, they called him Tom and he took fits, his wife Lila looked like a lesbian, anyway can remember Christine asking Tom in complete innocence what were testicles, still laugh at her reaction when Tom told her.
Pete it was her father in law Arther Jackson's funeral.
gag
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by gag »

Hello Pete. It was very sudden with Ronnie Hunter mate. I had split with Maureen when Ronnie died and the news came as quite a shock to me. I didnt know Ronnie when he hung around with you and Martin. It was the same with old Charlie Mack. I came in from my shift at the pit one morning and Grace was on the phone to Maureen saying that Charlie wasnt well after working in the garden. Grace had said that Charlie was laid on the settee with froth coming from his mouth. I rang for an ambulance and got over there as quick as I could. I went with him to the Infirmary and it turned out that he had had a massive stroke. He passed away three weeks later. It was a great shame to see such a lively little guy reduced to a jibbering wreck due to the stroke. Harry Patterson was my engineer for a time at Westoe. I got on really well with him and was also sorry to hear of his passing.

cheers.
gag.
jeffas
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Re: Hello To All !!!!!!!!!!!

Post by jeffas »

hi i lived just off the horsly hill dorset avenue i now live at liverpool
i went to redwell school the last year before it was closed down
my name is mark jeffery im 35 and my nick name was jeffas
baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

jeffas wrote:hi i lived just off the horsly hill dorset avenue i now live at liverpool
i went to redwell school the last year before it was closed down
my name is mark jeffery im 35 and my nick name was jeffas
Welcome to the boards jeffas. :wink:

I wasn't at Redwell but my sister was, but that was way back when your
parents were kids, she left around 1956/57.

There will be plenty on here who remember you, just give them time
to find out that you're here.

8)
anna
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by anna »

welcome to the boards Jeffas .... :hello: