Mortimer Memories

Big Nick
Head Doer
Head Doer

Post by Big Nick »

Mike,

Bijan sends his regards, we worked together for 6 years till i moved into the Protective Coating Department. I've had the pleasure of working on numerous UASC vessels over the years and with Shaffi, always had a good laugh together.

Dxb 50 6561325
Red & White and Proud
urfa
Big Gob
Big Gob

Post by urfa »

I Have been browsing Mortimer Road School, discipline was the rule of my memories of Mortimer School 1944 /1946, but nothing compared to what you guys are writing about, the male and females were kept seperate in those days. Mr Whitfield was the Head Master, and the teachers were Mr Hun, Mr. Elliot and Mr Hutton, I forget the name of the woodwork and metal work teacher, but he threw the odd block of wood around, he was deaf, there was also a female teacher who's name I have forgot. During the evacuation I was in various places, but came across Mr. Hutton in Maryport,there were lots of evacuees in that town and we got half a day at school, either morning or afternoon, I was there with my three sisters in separate addresses, I had a bit of trouble with Mr. Hutton and he wasn't too pleased when my mother came and took us home, (an outbreak of head lice decided that) he came running onto the station Platform we all ducked down out of sight but as the train started to move I looked out of the window as he was looking in. time passed and we all returned to Shields and I was sent to Mortimer, as the register was being called and he called my name he looked up and he said 'we meet again" he gave me hell at the slightest provocation.
G,day from down under, I am an expat from s.s. many years ago, this is a great site keep the good work up Matt
baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

The woodwork teacher you mention was Geordie Wyatt. Besides throwing blocks of wood he also liked to whack boys on the bottom. I remember one poor unfortunate who thought he could get away with stuffing an exercise book down the back of his trousers, Geordie discovered it after the first whack so the poor lad got double punishment for his effort. Mr Wyatt is mentioned in other posts on this forum, he was generous from the point that he was able to get tickets free for Westoe rugby club and would give them to pupils who wanted them, I saw a few County matches for free. Being deaf he would often sit in his office with his hearing aid turned up; so he missed very little of what was going on. Mr Hutton was related to two brothers (twins) who were in my class, I believe he was their grandfather, their name was Purvis and I'm sure the family owned a bakery business in Shields.
Keefbeer
Even Bigger Gob
Even Bigger Gob

Post by Keefbeer »

Well said Baldy, its more than 30 years since I left Mortimer and I still remember the good and bad teachers, as for the good..........Neville Upton told me most of us would end up working in the timber yards or catching bullets in the army yet for most of these years I bet I have earned double his salary. Miss Grant without her I would probaly have liked the French but after 5 years of her teaching I now loathe the surrender monkeys.
Mr Foster who was nice enough not to get me in trouble after catching me in the Tavern on the Monday night Superstag with the 10 strippers, come to think of it was a bit of a fiddle as it was 5 strippers doing 2 strips!
Ray Tynemouth, that man has cost me a fortune of the years had he not ensured that the books we read where better than the normal crap I would have saved thousands and W.H. Smiths would be broke.
I doubt many of our teachers set out to screw us up but looking back there where plenty of them who seemed bored and took a certain pleasure in taking out their frustrations on us.
Honest it was broken when I picked it up !
andysfootball

Post by andysfootball »

miss grant aka crater face

used to sit on the desk and spread

must have been an early advertisment

for the channel tunnel

upton was a ponce

only teacher back then with any clue

was manny mizen

bet geordie reynolds breath still stinks
STAY CALM AND SANDDANCE ON
little_tata
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by little_tata »

went to Mortimer.

Hated it.

With a passion.

Best day was the day I left.

(dodgy teacher who was giving my mate "extra lessons" HA!)

Burn the sodding place down!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Keefbeer
Even Bigger Gob
Even Bigger Gob

Post by Keefbeer »

Andy you have just reminded me that Miss Grant had the nickname crater face and I do remember she used to spend a lot of time sitting on the edge of the desk letting the air circulate! She also nearly got me suspended when Dave Roberts and I set fire to my French book with lighter fuel in the middle of her lesson. She caught me as I lobbed it out of the first floor window ( Health and Safety grounds of course ) and off to the office I went, they called in my parents and as it was not the only arson incident I had been involved in threats where made.
Funny thing I can still remember Galloway and Mizen p*****g themselves laughing about the whole thing!
Honest it was broken when I picked it up !
tonnee
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by tonnee »

this reply is abit belated but i cant stop laughing about the bar we used to
hang off and kick the crap out of each other id forgotten all about it
sniffer mortem was supposed to have been a p.o.w and was torchered
by the japs who stuck things up his nose
memor
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Location: Retired under a big umbrela in the sun with a glass of champagne

Post by memor »

This is what I heard.

My only hope is that they taught his wife mrs Morton how to do it so

she could continue the torture long after the war had ended.
I always value Pilots wit and input
tonnee
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

little arms

Post by tonnee »

what ever happened to the lad with the little arms
must have left in the mid seventies
we used to call him and hed chase us all over the place
im sure he had a taylor made wrangler jacket
memor
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Location: Retired under a big umbrela in the sun with a glass of champagne

Post by memor »

Maybe he became a shorthand typist ?
I always value Pilots wit and input
tonnee
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

window cleaner

Post by tonnee »

if my memory serves me right i saw him cleaning windows
many moons ago
andysfootball

Post by andysfootball »

he was called jeff ditchburn i think
STAY CALM AND SANDDANCE ON
Amadeus
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Re: Mortimer Memories

Post by Amadeus »

Yes - Geoffrey Ditchburn. He and I were in the same class (at Mortimer Secondary). He was a very cheerful character. .. had a younger brother. They lived at the opposite end from where Miss Turnbull and Miss Blunt lived (.. can't remember the name of the road - it was nearer to Bamburgh Avenue end. Geoffrey often came down to my house (what was 42 Tynedale Road, then).
I remember, quite vividly, one year our year went with Mr Upton, and most probably another teacher, to Derby Street Swimming Baths for Swimming. Geoffrey slipped on the floor by the side of the pool - he broke one arm (at least).
To ME 'happy days'! (from 1969 to 1973). I had no friends, there. I didn't enjoy school until I got into 3rd and 4th years - got on with my Music (with Alan Smith) and we received much encouragement in those days, from dear Mrs wells (who was Deputy Head to Mr Morton). Mrs wells passed away in Scunthorpe in 2019 - at the great age of 100!
I have much much respect, STILL for the teachers then, at Mortimer (and I STILL DO). I thought, to me, they were infallible!
The teachers of today - I cannot say good of them. I AM JOLLY GLAD THAT I WAS AT SCHOOL WHEN I WAS!!!!

Unfortunately and 'TYPICALLY', my peers (even now 50 years on) have the same unfriendly attitude, rude and bad mannered not replying to my contacting them!
Amadeus
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Re: Mortimer Memories

Post by Amadeus »

'MR' Upton taught Geography and Sports.