Up your street

Leave your remarks about life in South Shields / South Tyneside

Moderator: andysfootball

Pilot
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Pilot »

Every once in a while I drive down Grotto Road, the memories, I could write a book.
I voted leave

Cisco
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Cisco »

I'm the same Pilot, When I'm passing I'll drive in one end go through the street and out the other end.

I was looking through an electoral roll on line on Grotto Road and only recognized 2 or 3 names.
I guess we all move on.

Cisco
Elaine H
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Elaine H »

I grew up in Marsden - parents still live there. On the whole, it's still a nice area, except maybe for the Farding Lake Square flats, which last time I was there, seemed pretty desolate.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
Mark Twain
baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

Elaine - my brother owns one of those flats and it is fabulous inside. True they are a bit scruffy in the hallways and stairs in the block my brother lives in but the flat itself is quiet. I believe that some of the other blocks are pretty bad and there is talk of them being pulled down for re-development in the not too distant future.

8)
village cat
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by village cat »

little_tata wrote:Cleadon or Whitburn.

Far enough away, but close enough.

(looking to move to Whitburn soon)
They don't take kindly to strangers round these here parts :wink:

Lived in Shields most of my life, but moved here just over two years ago.
I had a flat near Chi for 15 years, and the area has deteriorated in that time. Mainly due to little tossers hanging around the streets, looking for trouble. Don't get me wrong, a lot of us would have hung around street corners at one time or other ( particularly any women of the night on the board), but these lot seem like a new breed of idiots.

The Crown Village seems a nice area. Harton, Highfied Road/Grosvenor Road areas, have always been nice places to live.
little_tata
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by little_tata »

They don't take kindly to strangers round these here parts

Yeah, we saw a few of the blinds twitch when we were walking into the street.

The local pub seems nice though. Easy staggering distance!
village cat
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by village cat »

little_tata wrote:
They don't take kindly to strangers round these here parts

Yeah, we saw a few of the blinds twitch when we were walking into the street.

The local pub seems nice though. Easy staggering distance!
If you mean the Grey Horse, it's recently been done out, which was a good thing, as it was a complete dump until then. It's a cliquey pub, as you would expect in a village with two pubs, but it's ok. I don't go in that often. I pop in for the odd one on my way up to Roker.
little_tata
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by little_tata »

If you mean the Grey Horse, it's recently been done out, which was a good thing, as it was a complete dump until then.

I worked there a few years ago, in the kitchens, and I don't think I could ever drink in there, never mind eat.

The pub I was talking about is the Whitburn Lodge. It seems nice, but I've never drank in there.
village cat
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by village cat »

little_tata wrote:
If you mean the Grey Horse, it's recently been done out, which was a good thing, as it was a complete dump until then.

I worked there a few years ago, in the kitchens, and I don't think I could ever drink in there, never mind eat.

The pub I was talking about is the Whitburn Lodge. It seems nice, but I've never drank in there.
:lol: Can't say I blame you.

I have been in there twice since moving here, and both times only recently. I went in on a Saturday night, and had trouble choosing a seat. The trouble due to having that many to choose from. I think there were about 8 people in.
little_tata
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by little_tata »

Oh well, it seems like a nice "start off" pub.

The Grey Horse was minging. Awful place.

Your'e a brave man to drink in there cat, even if it has been done out.

Is there still a strong (and strange) smell of fishy seaweed in the mens toilets?
baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

How do you know what it smells like in the mens toilets little_tata :?:

8)
village cat
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by village cat »

little_tata wrote:Oh well, it seems like a nice "start off" pub.

The Grey Horse was minging. Awful place.

Your'e a brave man to drink in there cat, even if it has been done out.

Is there still a strong (and strange) smell of fishy seaweed in the mens toilets?
That has gone, thankfully. Along with the wall to wall mould.
jellybabyjenbob
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by jellybabyjenbob »

I live in Chi, just off Mortimer Road. It's far enough away from the Metro station so that you don't get chavs hanging around, it's quiet, the neighbours are lovely, people leave their nice cars outside at night without worrying about thieves or vandals, the County and the West Park pubs are my locals, it's within walking distance of the College for Tony to walk to work, and the metro for me to get to Uni, or for nights out in Newcastle...There are plenty of convenient corner shops around, I can jump on a bus to Sunderland at the end of the street to go see my mum, and it's two minutes on the bus to get to store to do the shopping!

I'm happy. I'm not saying I'll stay here forever, but I do love my little flat :)
village cat
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by village cat »

jellybabyjenbob wrote:I live in Chi, just off Mortimer Road. It's far enough away from the Metro station so that you don't get chavs hanging around, it's quiet, the neighbours are lovely, people leave their nice cars outside at night without worrying about thieves or vandals, the County and the West Park pubs are my locals, it's within walking distance of the College for Tony to walk to work, and the metro for me to get to Uni, or for nights out in Newcastle...There are plenty of convenient corner shops around, I can jump on a bus to Sunderland at the end of the street to go see my mum, and it's two minutes on the bus to get to store to do the shopping!

I'm happy. I'm not saying I'll stay here forever, but I do love my little flat :)
Used to live not that far from where you live, by the sound of it. I bet you aren't the cooking type, and get your tea at Gill's every night :wink:
jellybabyjenbob
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

village cat wrote:
jellybabyjenbob wrote:I live in Chi, just off Mortimer Road. It's far enough away from the Metro station so that you don't get chavs hanging around, it's quiet, the neighbours are lovely, people leave their nice cars outside at night without worrying about thieves or vandals, the County and the West Park pubs are my locals, it's within walking distance of the College for Tony to walk to work, and the metro for me to get to Uni, or for nights out in Newcastle...There are plenty of convenient corner shops around, I can jump on a bus to Sunderland at the end of the street to go see my mum, and it's two minutes on the bus to get to store to do the shopping!

Used to live not that far from where you live, by the sound of it. I bet you aren't the cooking type, and get your tea at Gill's every night :wink:
I'm in my ELEMENT in the kitchen actually! lol, love cooking! And noone else is allowed in the kitchen when I'm in! Gurr...Friday night is takeaway night tho, and Gill's follows in close 2nd to Mario's lol :lol:
village cat
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by village cat »

jellybabyjenbob wrote:
village cat wrote:

I'm in my ELEMENT in the kitchen actually! lol, love cooking! And noone else is allowed in the kitchen when I'm in! Gurr...Friday night is takeaway night tho, and Gill's follows in close 2nd to Mario's lol :lol:
I apologise. I underestimated you. A singer and a cook. If you can do housework and D.I.Y. as well, your bloke is on a winner :wink:
jellybabyjenbob
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

village cat wrote:
jellybabyjenbob wrote:
village cat wrote:
I apologise. I underestimated you. A singer and a cook. If you can do housework and D.I.Y. as well, your bloke is on a winner :wink:
I had to show HIM how to use a drill when we we were putting up pics etc hehe...And no, he does the housework. :lol:
memor
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Location: Retired under a big umbrela in the sun with a glass of champagne

Post by memor »

Lets all emigrate to Oz !!!!
I always value Pilots wit and input
curly
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by curly »

CRIKEY!

I've got a famous neighbour!
Scrappy

Post by Scrappy »

Lets all emigrate to Oz !!!!
COOL!!!! I'l take ya's on the biggest best pub crawl of your life.. :P :P :D