Litter

Leave your remarks about life in South Shields / South Tyneside

Moderator: andysfootball

Jim_in_France
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Litter

Post by Jim_in_France »

I have just heard on Century Radio, that a mother is moaning about her son being fined £50 for throwing his empty drink can into a hedge. She said its "Unfair" and gave the old excuse of "what about all the other crimes going on". Well I think it was unfair too! He should have been fined £100. Just back from the UK and the most noticable thing was the litter. The place looks like a neglected dump! Litter is along all the motorways and on just about every street. The footpaths seem to have caught some terrible rash! Ive never seen so much chewing gum! It was stuck everywhere! Im sorry to say, but the UK looks more like a neglected third world country every day. They should get out and catch and prosecute anyone who drops litter. Instead of chasing phantomes. The place really looks the pits now. :evil:
"The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast."

"We are each our own devil, and we make this world our hell."

Oscar Wilde
brian c
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by brian c »

Jim, the UK IS a neglected third world country.

STUPID YOU ARE.................

BREED YOU SHOULD NOT!
padlock man
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by padlock man »

Jim: Shithouse Britain is what I've called it - and it is.
Jim_in_France
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Jim_in_France »

10 years ago, when I lived in London, I was proud to return to the North. Especially Shields. It looked cared for and spotlessly clean. It seems to have gone downhill FAST!!! Regarding the litter and gum problem. Whats gone on??? I wonder if it has anything to do with the influx of "non geordies" which I also noticed. :shock:

It really does need the locals to give the law and the council, hell over this. They should clean it up and the law to aggressivly enforce, the littering laws. Tyne Tees could do a spot on the evening news each night, showing the faces of those who litter and are caught on the many street camerras.

Oscar Wilde
Delilahcat
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Delilahcat »

Yes we do have a litter problem in the UK. Children follow the example of adults. However you are wrong when you compare Britain to a third world country.
A third world country such as Sierra Leone or Bangladesh does not have the services we have - free health care, social security system, sanitation, clean water etc etc
Britain has many faults but I am grateful to live here.
Jim_in_France
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Jim_in_France »

I have just heard the imbecile mother of that lad, on the radio again. She says she "Cant see how her son dumping litter in someones hedge is a crime" I think that about sums up the problem! Theres little hope for the future then? :shock:

Oscar Wilde
MC_Trilo_G
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by MC_Trilo_G »

Yes, the litter is appauling... Always has been... I even dare say that from time to time I have contributed to the problem, of which there is no excuse...

I do my best most of the time, tho
'Nice one, bruvva!'
tonnee
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

third world country

Post by tonnee »

england is a dump too many aliens bringing it down to their level and too
many lefties with too much to say and spend other peoples money and
stick their noses in where its not wanted
what makes these lefties think they are loveable
still it could be worse i could live at the hill :cry:
sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sherri »

Jim_in_France wrote:I have just heard the imbecile mother of that lad, on the radio again. She says she "Cant see how her son dumping litter in someones hedge is a crime" I think that about sums up the problem! Theres little hope for the future then? :shock:
The bottom line is you have a parent here who doesn't think her child has done anything wrong. Just listen to her. She hasn't just said it was the wrong thing to do but the fine amount is too high, she has said-other people do it too and it isn't a crime.

Hands up who wants litter stuck in their hedge or garden?
How would she feel if someone dumped a bag or two of the stuff in her front yard?
There is hope for the future(always got to have hope) but we do have a rash of parents out there at the moment (not all parents by any means but more than there would have been 30/40 years ago) who are smudging the boundaries or what is right and wrong for their kids. They aren't doing the kids any favours by not letting them face up to their actions.
memor
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Location: Retired under a big umbrela in the sun with a glass of champagne

Post by memor »

Its about time we had something LIKE national service.

Something for two years between leaving school and getting a job.

Get youths (male and female) interested in society, show them how they are supposed to behave, teach them respect for everyone.

Maybe that may help cut down on crime and ASBO's
I always value Pilots wit and input
MC_Trilo_G
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by MC_Trilo_G »

Or maybe if they don't finish school, stick em all in prison.

Ahh... i withdraw that comment...

Damn...

But yeah kids need teaching and most of the time nowadays the mothers are too young or stuck up their own arses to know what is right and wrong themselves.

Mind you... Bad/good, wrong/right, not as simple as black/white.

ooooooh that rhymes :)
skill
'Nice one, bruvva!'
jimmywizz
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by jimmywizz »

fine the parents for not bringing up the kids right, that will sort a few of them out
andysfootball

Post by andysfootball »

i hope it wasn't little tatas hedge

i think i left my carton of curry sauce there after

the birmingham game
STAY CALM AND SANDDANCE ON
Scrappy

Post by Scrappy »

What s*its me the most is that when your driving behind another car.. :evil:
And they throw a bloody cigarette butt out the window.. :x :x
Or a paper wrapper aswell... :evil: Especially when your on the Highway!!!
GeoNeil
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by GeoNeil »

I think the problem in that people don't see litter as such a big deal. Nobody wants sh*te dumped in their hedge or wants to sit in a ton of s**t in their living room but once they get outside... well they don't have to bother, that job belongs to someone else.

The question is, how many of us here have saw someone drop litter and actually done something about it, mentioned it to them:?:

What do you think would happen to you if you did? :angry5: :dead:

I think we no longer have the attitude that we == public, so public property == ours.

I personally have noticed that there are certain 'courtesies' I no longer do, taking my own empty back to a bar in a pub, clearing my own tray in a restaurant.

..quite often I've littered because the bins were either full, or as easy to find as free public toilets! (which probably contributes to another rather disgusting problem I used to see more than once but thankfully haven't in ages, that being parents dropping their kids' pants in public and having them urinate and defecate in the street like dogs, perhaps the fear of pedo-files maybe seeing their kid like that stops them rather than any form of civic pride of basic decency)
Jim_in_France
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Jim_in_France »

Spodge. That was not my quote. I think it was padlock.

Yes, the area was quite bad years ago. But in the 90s it seemed to improve vastly. Now its going down again, it seems. It may be council cutbacks again, I dont know? But there does seem to be a bit of a "bad attitude" around. For instance, I went to Tesco on Newcastle road and was impressed at the amount of disabled parking there. When I looked, only one car in about 20 had a disabled badge. The rest were all lazy, inconsiderate arseholes, who did not want to walk 10mtrs to the door and obviously couldnt care less about the disabled.

I dont think the litter was particulaly bad in Shields, but it could improve! The worst place was by the side of motorways or main roads. It seems as though when people take out the rubbish, they take it out in the car and throw bits out as they drive around.

There is absolutely no reason for even one piece of litter to be on the ground. Theres plenty of public rubbish bins. I think the type of person who throws litter down, is the same type as who parks in disabled car spaces, or put their feet on the seats of buses and trains. I.E. PIG IGNORANT!!!

Oscar Wilde
Axeman
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Axeman »

I hear they are trying to get the chewing gum companies to pay towards the clean up of the stuff.

Have you seen the pavement outside the local shop where the schoolkids go in the lunch hour.

Even had abit stuck to the back of my leg after being on the Metro once, seriously P***ed off.
WWW.NEWHARTLEYSERVICES.CO.UK. SAVE SAVE SAVE. Swap to a cheaper, better service.
Play in an on-line lottery syndicate...WWW.BETLOTT.COM
brian c
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by brian c »

Compared with London, South Tyneside's spotless.

STUPID YOU ARE.................

BREED YOU SHOULD NOT!
Scrappy

Post by Scrappy »

Grrrrr chewing gum stuck on the shoe is a pain in the bloody arse.. :evil: :evil:
Jim_in_France
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Jim_in_France »

Yes brian, I noticed the difference when I lived in London and visited Shields. I should have made myself more clear at first. The litter I noticed is mainl by the side of the roads, stuck in hedges etc. The litter I did see around town stood out more to me as Ive lived in a town that has none at all. (Apart from summer, when the Brit tourists arrive :twisted: ). The most striking thing was the gum. I have paid attention to my local footpaths since I got back and have noticed the rash is spreading here. Though only the odd piece here and there. I heard about the gum companies being made to cough up. It apparently costs 50p to remove a piece of gum from the path. Solution: Put a 50p surcharge on every piece of gum sold! I reckon that will control it. A packet of Wrigleys £6.50 8)

I swallow! :oops:

Oscar Wilde