tossers

Leave your remarks about life in South Shields / South Tyneside

Moderator: andysfootball

jimmywizz
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

tossers

Post by jimmywizz »

yet again south shields was part of one of the biggest races on the face of the plant and what did some of our so called national press have to say about it ? sweet fu*k all same as last year, but when the london race comes around we will get it stuffed in our face with a front page spread, fight back and dont buy any of their toilet roll papers because yet again its proved they dont give a toss about us up here
Jerry
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Jerry »

There was heavy TV coverage at least (though I didn't see South Shields beach in the glorious sunshine). And of course there was a headline today, I see, about the four poor chaps who died.

What you say is quite correct; I was saying the same thing about the Tall Ships on these boards.

It's not just the North East which gets neglected, however. Most parts of the country resent the intense London-centricity of the British media. Even here in Herts, only 40 mins by train into London, people consider that 'they just ignore us'.

The Guardian has a Northerner section on their site, which often features news from Tyneside, sympathetically and quite knowledgeably presented. I occasionally pass on bits of news to them from my own areas of interest.

Nowadays over 90% of journalists live and work in London. They rely for outside news on wire services and PR handouts.

I have a North v South A-Z polemic on my website. It pretends to be instructions to London media men about how to deal with the provinces - the North in particular. It covers the areas of Jimmy's concern in detail and is also (occasionally) A GOOD LAFF. A BBC producer told me recently that it was SPOT ON.

I may quote a bit in another post.

Jerry
http://www.myersnorth.co.uk

Either everybody matters or nobody matters
Jerry
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Jerry »

From North v South A-Z Polemic

TRIP, LONG, TO HARTLEPOOL
'QPR face the long trip to Hartlepool'; 'Harlequins face the six-hundred-mile round trip to Newcastle.' Paradoxically, it is not a long journey the other way, thus bearing out the adage that it is much further from New York to Squeedunk than from Squeedunk to New York.

TWICKENHAM
The stadium has been called austere, forbidding and having a unique lack of atmosphere. Ignore: call it 'the Cathedral of Rugby' and ascribe this designation to the French. Teams 'dream of Twickenham', not the cup final. Twickenham has 'hallowed turf' (v. LORD'S, WEMBLEY, WIMBLEDON).

TYPICALLY ENGLISH
Village, pub, landscape. This means typically southern English. Your book England and the English should be strewn with pseudo-profundities around this theme: cricket, men in bowler hats, and ladies cycling to matins may feature, but not the Felling Working Men's Club.

I see the online Guardian had a very nice piece about the Great North Run

jimmywizz
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by jimmywizz »

hi jerry post a link to your website on here, i would like to have a look
Jerry
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Jerry »

My website is reachable via the www at the bottom of my posts. Its full URL is

http://pages.britishlibrary.net/alan.myers

I'd welcome any suggestions for the GREAT NORTH section.

I've suggested to Curly a magnifiable map for the Sanddancers site - any news?

Jerry

hellraiser

COVERAGE

Post by hellraiser »

AS I WAS GETTING READY TO GO OUT ON SUNDAY I WAS LISTENING TO RADIO 1, AND TO MY DISGUST IN HIGHLIGHTING THERE RUNNERS FROM THERE SHOW HE HAD TO s**g OUR RADIO STATIONS AND KINDS OF MUSIC WE LISTEN TO IN THE NORTH EAST ...........------------->>>>>>>
A HIGHLY ANNOYED HELLRAISER
:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
IT WAS A FAIR FOUL REF

viewforum.php?f=58
memor
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Location: Retired under a big umbrela in the sun with a glass of champagne

Post by memor »

I just read in paper (Daily Telegraph) that Neanderthals not

killed off. Apparently Inuits (eskimos) tribe from South Africa and best of

all Jordies from the North East all share genes that come from

Neanderthals.

Now I not saying anything might come from all this but maybe the press treat North East with a bit of respect.

But no doubt there be lots of references to Charvers being the missing link
I always value Pilots wit and input
CheeseSarnie
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by CheeseSarnie »

you are all missing the point here.

so any national news that features the NE, they use footage from the Medowell roits of 10 years + ago? Great.

we're all about cloth caps, whippets and closed factories? Yep, thats us all right.

Its grim oop North? Yeah, its horrible.

our men are thugs and our women are slappers? You are dead right son.

no jobs, no money, no culture, arts, sport, decent restraunts, good schools? Spot on.

you stay down in your inner London congestion zone, choke on the fumes, get mugged and burgled, spend 3 hours a day getting to and from work, get with the rat run and the rat race, buy a 2 'bedroom' box for the price of a nice house with a garden up here, travel for hours to see a bit of green or a nice beach, drink in pubs where nobody will talk to a stranger, spend years in a flat and never know your neigbours, surround yourself with dour, humourless, paraniod people fixated on how much you earn...

lets all not tell the poor dears the real story of the NE, eh?
ye knawarritis?
tone
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by tone »

well said sarnie
allan
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by allan »

It's grim up north!!!!! Why is it quite a few from the south seem to come up north to retire.>>>>.

Jimmy why not do your own column, in one of the letter pages. There is a bloke in Hendon writes in the Echo just about every week about anything, but he also does his school reunions and gets a good response.> 8)