MEMORIES

Leave your remarks about life in South Shields / South Tyneside

Moderator: andysfootball

Globalmyths
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

MEMORIES

Post by Globalmyths » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:16 pm

Quite often something happens that triggers a memory in you. What awakens a memory in you. In me it can be a smell. When I was of primary school age if my mother had a bit of extra money we would when visiting town would go into a proper restaurant for lunch instead of the milk bar to have a pie with the customary sliced white bread and butter and mum would allow us to have a milkshake and looking back I could never understand why we were only ever allowed to have vanilla flavoured milkshakes. But the wonderful vinegar smell of the restaurant evokes the best memories in me the restaurant was attached to the fish shop. But try as hard as I can I cannot ever remember what we-I ate in the restaurant. I would not eat fish as my big sisters scared me with tales of be careful you don't get a fish bone stick in your throat. But the vinegar on fish smell always evokes the greatest pleasure in my senses when I smell it elsewhere.
How was a totally inorganic world able to create organic life? Answer it couldn't and didn't

memor
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Location: Retired under a big umbrela in the sun with a glass of champagne

Re: MEMORIES

Post by memor » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:31 pm

Me too Glob.

I was working in London in my twenties when this woman passed by. The perfume she was wearing was the scent my Mother had worn on a particular day.

I was transported back to South Shields holding the hands of my Mother and Father. It was a hot July day and my fifth birthday,

They walked me down to "Rippons" a toy shop at the bottom of Fowler Street and bought me a Cowboy gun with rolls of "caps".

The vision was so real because of the perfume.

I had completely forgotten about the incident.

I spoke to my Mother and she confirmed that this did happen.

Our sense of smell is so underused these days. It's now been relegated to detect if it's foggy, smoky or if someone hasn't washed for awhile.
I always value Pilots wit and input

Globalmyths
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Re: MEMORIES

Post by Globalmyths » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:59 pm

To true Memor to true.

Has anyone else had there memories enhanced by a smell that you had forgotten over the ages.
How was a totally inorganic world able to create organic life? Answer it couldn't and didn't

Return to “South Shields General Notice Board”