South Shields Poltergeist - all gone quiet?

Leave your remarks about life in South Shields / South Tyneside

Moderator: andysfootball

crowdundle
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

South Shields Poltergeist - all gone quiet?

Post by crowdundle » Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:33 pm

Hi everyone!

I recently read The South Shields Poltergeist by Mike Hallowell and Dave Ritson. I see this is a topic which has been mentioned on this board a few years back in the aftermath of the book's publication, although on here as elsewhere there doesn't seem to have been much mention of it recently.

Whatever people's views on the subject, you'd normally expect local people to be familiar with the location or at least the street in which the events were supposed to have occurred.

The book states that the name of the family involved and the address, which is given as "42 Lock Street" in the book, were changed to protect the identities of those involved. Fair enough in the immediate aftermath, but you'd expect a few basic details such as the "real" street name to have leaked out by now, either from someone directly involved or from someone who lived nearby, or from the old "friend-of-a-friend".

To date it seems like the only account/evidence we have that anything took place at all is from the authors of the book. So was it all a pack of brap after all?

Mr Smith
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Re: South Shields Poltergeist - all gone quiet?

Post by Mr Smith » Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:29 am

You write like a journalist, are you one? 8)
Wise man talk because they have something to say,
fools talk because they have to say something.

Mariner_Kenny
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by Mariner_Kenny » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:39 pm

Great Book, not long read it myself. And I agree....would be good to know the real street name.
hmm...Tyne Dock? I know of hauntings there - and funnily enough, 2 different sides of my family (Mams & Dads) lived on the same terraced street in Tyne Dock, and both reported 'sightings'....i'll dig further!

crowdundle
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by crowdundle » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:39 pm

That's a back-handed compliment if ever I heard one, Mr Smith! No, though I may "write like a journalist" I am not one!

I read the book and a couple of articles about it when it first came out and found it to be the best and most compelling poltergeist case that I had read about since the Enfield case.
However, as time has gone on and no further information at all has come to light, I've begun to have a few doubts for the reasons stated in my opening post.
In a place the size of South Shields and with so many gossips, somebody must know something about the location or those involved, and some of that information would have leaked out by now.

In Mike Hallowell and Darren Ritson's book it is perhaps telling that they say that when investigating, one of the first things they look for in a supposed haunted house are things like books on ghosts or other supernatural paraphernalia which suggests that the residents have an interest in such things, the rationale being that those who do are apparently more likely to invent a ghost story in order to get attention. In which case, who could be more likely to invent the "perfect" ghost story and then try and make money out of it than a pair of paranormal investigators?

Just a thought.
Last edited by crowdundle on Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

siam sam
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by siam sam » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:45 pm

i seem to recall a tale about strange goings on in st vincent street?
zip me up in my oilskins and jumper.
no more down the docks i'll be seen.
just tell me old shipmates.
i'm taking a trip mates.
and i'll see them on fiddler' green.

Mariner_Kenny
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by Mariner_Kenny » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:28 pm

hmm...not heard of that...will have to look that one up now ;) That's Horsley Hill way isn't it???

siam sam
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by siam sam » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:18 pm

no it is in westoe running parallel with mombray road.
zip me up in my oilskins and jumper.
no more down the docks i'll be seen.
just tell me old shipmates.
i'm taking a trip mates.
and i'll see them on fiddler' green.

Mariner_Kenny
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by Mariner_Kenny » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:46 pm

Yeah...not far from Horsley Hill Road. I used to live on College Drive!
Anyway....can't find a sausage about that on St Vincents Street....

tone
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by tone » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:07 pm

read something about robert st or some street around that way
and grosvenor rd next to the college
There is a forgotten, nay almost forbidden word, which means more to me than any other. That word is England.

Winston Churchill

MJH
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by MJH » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:29 pm

Okay, let us put everyone out of their misery. First of all, we'd like to nail the silliness that the family at the centre of the case may not exist.

Crowdundle: "To date it seems like the only account/evidence we have that anything took place at all is from the authors of the book. So was it all a pack of brap after all?"

You really should read the book - properly, we mean - for some of the witnesses are easily contactable (such as the journalists from Orion TV) who actually visited the house. Were these other witnesses making it up too, then? Or does their testimony that they visited the house not count as evidence? And what about the friends of the family who have posted on several boards? Did they invent themselves? If you visit the official website of the case (www.mikehallowell.com/shieldspolt) you'll see a detailed paper on the case by Barrister Alan Murdie who went through our evidence with a fine toothcomb and had full access to all the relevant details, including the location, names, etc. His considered opinion? "One of the most significant poltergeist cases of the last fifty years". There are also statements by world-renowned criminologist and paranormal researcher Colin Wilson, Enfield investigator Guy Lyon-Playfair and others who have seen the proof that this case and the people involved with it are real and not fictitious.

Mind you, you did get one thing right...you really aren't a journalist, are you? :wink: Had you been, you'd have checked your facts. (And its Darren Ritson, not Dave Ritson BTW).

"...when investigating, one of the first things they look for in a supposed haunted house are things like books on ghosts or other supernatural paraphernalia which suggests that the residents have an interest in such things, the rationale being that those who do are apparently more likely to invent a ghost story in order to get attention".

Alas, that must be another Hallowell & Ritson in another book in a parallel universe, for that certainly wasn't the rationale that we employ by default. The normal reason we look for such material is not to assume the experients may be hoaxing, but to determine whether the witnesses are more likely to ascribe a paranormal cause to their experience than a mundane one. All good investigators do this.

"In which case, who could be more likely to invent the "perfect" ghost story and then try and make money out of it than a pair of paranormal investigators?"

Mmmm...and we should therefore assume that all doctors fake their patients' illnesses, police officers invent burglaries and plumbers only pretend to fix leaky washing machines. This may shock you, but paranormal phenomena are most often investigated by...paranormal investigators. As for making money, are you suggesting its immoral to make a living by writing books in one's field of expertise? Our doctors (and I presume yours) make a living out of treating illnesses. Do you have an issue with this? Let us know who your medic is, and we'll tell him you think he should work for the NHS for free.

Now the matter of the address. Actually, the details of the address and the experients were actually published in a national magazine before they decided to exercise their desire for anonymity. As far as I can see, the suggestions made here are all wide of the mark. It isn't at Horsley Hill, Tyne Dock, St. Vincent Street or near the college. The pseudonym Lock Street was plucked out of the air and has no hidden meaning.

Crowdundle...Darren and I have been chatting, and - please don't take this the wrong way - but other than your own testimony what proof do we have that you actually exist? If we find out that you're nothing but a figment of your own imagination we'll be very annoyed indeed... :lol:

Now if anyone thinks we're being a bit cutting in our dismantling of Crowdundle's tissue-thin and incredibly shaky critique, we'd simply like to point out that its acceptable to do this when someone hints you might be fibbing.

Mike & Darren
The House on Bloodbath Street,
Terrorsville,
Lockdockington. (really)

memor
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Location: Retired under a big umbrela in the sun with a glass of champagne

Post by memor » Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:44 pm

If you went to a gay club. You'd surely get the willies put up ya. :P
I always value Pilots wit and input

Globalmyths
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Globalmyths » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:29 am

Memor has gone, sad but thanks for the Memories that you left behind.
How was a totally inorganic world able to create organic life? Answer it couldn't and didn't

memor
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Location: Retired under a big umbrela in the sun with a glass of champagne

Post by memor » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:12 pm

I'm back out of my Coma.

The bolt through my neck is bug*er going through metal detectors at airports.
I always value Pilots wit and input

Tweedlady
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Tweedlady » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:45 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

crowdundle
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by crowdundle » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:13 pm

Mike, with all due respect to yourself and Darren/Dave, you haven't addressed the point of the original post - why has it all gone quiet?

I read the book and the much of the accompanying publicity. I remember a brief video of a bottle balancing at an unusual angle and the promise that further compelling footage had been taken.

I don't understand why paranormal investigators, especially commercially minded ones, would sit on an apparent 'holy grail' of further evidence and information if it is in your possession.

Of course the family may want to remain anonymous, as did the Enfield family for many years, but it only takes the briefest internet search to locate the true address in that case.
I find it surprising that not even a street name is in circulation in South Shields.

I am only articulating what many others who took an initial interest in the case - I went as far as buying the book - must be thinking. The lack of further information or evidence in the intervening years undermines the credibility of what initially seemed a fascinating case.

Tweedlady
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Tweedlady » Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:17 am

POLTERGEIST'S RETURNED TO SOUTH SHIELD!!NOT HARD TO FIND!! :shock:

Noggin
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Noggin » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:05 am

There was Poltergeist activity at a Ladys house in Hope Street some years ago, and if my memory serves me correctly Father Miller from the church on Boldon Lane ' All Saints Church ' was involved. I do actually know the name of the family involved but can't divulge without their permission ! . . :)

Tweedlady
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Tweedlady » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:49 am

POLTERGEIST AND GHOST'S AT WOODFORD ACADEMY Blue mountains Australia,Visited while we lived at the Mountains. :shock: SCARY!!!

Return to “South Shields General Notice Board”