baldysmith please contact me

Leave your remarks about life in South Shields / South Tyneside

Moderator: andysfootball

geordielass
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

baldysmith please contact me

Post by geordielass » Tue May 03, 2011 11:42 pm

can you please contact me regarding joyce christie as she was relitive and i am trying to find her i now live in cumbria and no longer get to shields i also belive it was you asking for imfo on either the bowsfields or mountains but i can not find the link again i am a bowsfield and cousin of mountains i am new to this site i was brought up at laygate and mile end rd area but know and still rember the old shields

Mr Smith
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Re: baldysmith please contact me

Post by Mr Smith » Wed May 04, 2011 7:06 am

geordielass wrote:can you please contact me regarding joyce christie as she was relitive and i am trying to find her i now live in cumbria and no longer get to shields i also belive it was you asking for imfo on either the bowsfields or mountains but i can not find the link again i am a bowsfield and cousin of mountains i am new to this site i was brought up at laygate and mile end rd area but know and still rember the old shields
Hi Geordie lass, it wasn't me asking about the Bowsfields or Mountains

If it is the same Joyce Christie I've had no contact with her since my fathers funeral although my brother
runs into her now and again. Her maiden name was Hutchinson, she married Billy Christie who was a
bus driver for South Shields Corporation. Joyce was the first female Police Inspector in South Shields
and she retired when she was about 45/47 years old. After her husband Billy died she remarried but
I do not know her surname. The man she married was a lay preacher and they moved around the area
quite a bit so I don't know where she's living at the moment. She will be aged 76/77 now. If I can get any
further information from my brother I'll let you know.
Wise man talk because they have something to say,
fools talk because they have to say something.

geordielass
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by geordielass » Wed May 04, 2011 7:44 pm

thanks for replying i thought she may have remarried, because she was still youngish when uncle bill died in 1967, he was a right character, i remember him taking me up to marsden beach with me sat on the tank of his motorbike when i was about 8 or 9 he used to take me all over sat on that tank and no crash helmets then. by the way are you related to smiths of laygate marrianne, billy &jimmy cos if so i am looking for marrianne. thanks again anyway

Mr Smith
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Mr Smith » Wed May 04, 2011 8:20 pm

Although I was born and raised in the Laygate area I'm not related to anyone with those names.
I come from the elite part of the Smith clan. :D

geordielass
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by geordielass » Wed May 04, 2011 9:27 pm

never heard of the elite clan ahha you mean the furnishing people from laygate the one with the big shop ? what part of laygate im from taylor street [hanrattys end] and then laygate flats and then so,fredrick street, also lived on law top as well as every where else must be gypsy in me somewhere along the line

Mr Smith
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Mr Smith » Wed May 04, 2011 9:59 pm

I lived in Havelock Street, same side as Hanratty's, straight opposite The Havelock Inn.
Bill Christie lodged in that end of Taylor Street and he was my fathers best friend.

geordielass
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by geordielass » Wed May 04, 2011 10:58 pm

bill lodged with my nana at no12 from well before i was born when he first came from dundee just after war untill he got married in 1957 i still remember wedding, then they lived in police flats kepple street. so i must have met your dad i also lived with my nana hence, i called him uncle bill. he still came for his dinner every day to my mams in laygate flats right up to 60s when he worked for council as lorry driver i remember him breaking his leg when he ran his self over with his own lorry trying to start it with the crank, this site has brought back many happy memories from when i was a kid, my daughter recons ive got alzimers

Mr Smith
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Mr Smith » Wed May 04, 2011 11:36 pm

Billy came from just a place pretty close to Edingburgh. Was your grandmothers surname Alexander?
I think the Harrison family were either related to or had strong connections to your nana.

geordielass
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by geordielass » Wed May 04, 2011 11:58 pm

yes the name was alexander. josie harrison was my aunt, mams sister my mother betty. but john, kathy & anne harrison are all dead now they were a bit older than me. kathy married a tom mountain so did you know them

geordielass
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by geordielass » Thu May 05, 2011 12:15 am

reading old posts i was at derby street baths the night pamela clemants drowned i was with the harrisons my cousins and pamela was with maureen clemants they lived near you so i must know you

Mr Smith
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Mr Smith » Thu May 05, 2011 6:21 am

Josie Harrison was a close friend of my mothers and John and I used to go everywhere together.
I knew Kathy died quite young , I saw her a couple of times at the Nook with her husband but I
did not know him. Kathy died shortly after they had won a tidy amount of money on the pools or
premium bonds, I can't remember which. I lost touch with John when we moved up to Marsden in
1953 but I did see him on a bus years later when he was going to visit his mother in Whitburn. I did
not know the John and Ann had died, I believe Ann live somewhere around Biddick Hall after she
got married. I moved away from South Shields in 1966. My brother is called Jacky Smith and my
sister is Sylvia Smith both are younger than me.
As we lived on the corner of Havelock Street and Palmerston Street we had a window overlooking
each street, from our room overlooking Palmerston Street we looked directly at the Harrison's front
door. We lived above a Greengrocers shop.

Return to “South Shields General Notice Board”