south shields/whitburn colliery

Leave your remarks about life in South Shields / South Tyneside

Moderator: andysfootball

geordielass
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

south shields/whitburn colliery

Post by geordielass » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:34 am

i have just spent a plesant couple hours reading comments and what memmories they have brought back born&bred in shields my late husband worked at westoe and then whitburn we left in 67 to go down to nottingham transfered because the pit was closing i went to ST bedes derby st and was one of the first classes to move to ST cuthberts new school, lived in taylor street [hanrattys end facing garden gate pub].and then bath st we moved to the new laygate flats, i learnt to swim at derby street baths and spent many a summers day at tynemouth pool, marsden grotto, trow rocks, and the little beach i also remember a battery/bunker of some sort we used to lift the hatch and go down burried on the green at the law top, i bet thats still there. i now live in cumbria and have not been back to shields for about 10yrs. my best friend was marianne smith,baily was her married name she had 2 brothers billy & jimmy i would love to catch up with her again last time i saw her was when i lived in blackpool in the 90s friends i also knocked about with were joan brown from biddick hall sandra from whiteleas, peter scott, billy gibson, john pierce his mum used to run the crown in ocean rd we all used to go to the golden slipper at westoe on a saturday night. they were the days .

Gijoesmg
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Re: south shields/whitburn colliery

Post by Gijoesmg » Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:05 pm

my dad worked at Whitburn colliery when it closed went to Westoe then retired, my Brother also worked at Whitburn. Dads name Jimmy (Dicka) Richardson was a Blacksmith my brother was an electrician

Return to “South Shields General Notice Board”