PARKING IN SOUTHTYNESIDE & SOUTH SHIELDS

Leave your remarks about life in South Shields / South Tyneside

Moderator: andysfootball

Delilahcat
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Re: PARKING IN SOUTHTYNESIDE & SOUTH SHIELDS

Post by Delilahcat »

Obviously the voters of South Tyneside put parking matters very low on their list of priorities as the Labour Party gained an extra 5 seats. You may not have noticed but they did have a group of local people investigating the problems of parking. There are not the simple solutions that some would have you believe. Residents paying for parking is a response to people being unable to park their cars outside their own homes because they live near a hospital, the coast, a shoping centre etc. If you make it residents only it has to be enforced otherwise it's pointless and it is unfair to expect Council Tax Payers to foot the bill. If parking were free in the town centre every place would be taken by people who work in the town centre leaving none for shoppers.

Jarrow Pete
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Jarrow Pete »

Delilahcat wrote:Obviously the voters of South Tyneside put parking matters very low on their list of priorities as the Labour Party gained an extra 5 seats. You may not have noticed but they did have a group of local people investigating the problems of parking. There are not the simple solutions that some would have you believe. Residents paying for parking is a response to people being unable to park their cars outside their own homes because they live near a hospital, the coast, a shoping centre etc. If you make it residents only it has to be enforced otherwise it's pointless and it is unfair to expect Council Tax Payers to foot the bill. If parking were free in the town centre every place would be taken by people who work in the town centre leaving none for shoppers.
It works perfectly well in Jarrow and Hebburn. A simple soloution to all day parking is to place a 3 hour limit and return prohibited within 3 hours restrication on the car parks,unfortunetly that goes against the Labour Councils plans for screwing every possible penny out of the motorist.Are they that stupid that they cannot see they are killing South Shields as a shopping centre, people either drive to Jarrow or to out of town shopping outlets to avoid having to pay excessive charges to park their car.

memor
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Location: Retired under a big umbrela in the sun with a glass of champagne

Post by memor »

Just remember everyone.

IF YOU GET A FINE IN A COUNCIL RUN CAR PARK . IT'S CALLED A "PENALTY CHARGE." THIS IS A LEGAL TERM AND MUST BE PAID AND IS ENFORCABLE BY LAW.

IF YOU GET A FINE IN A PRIVATE RUN CAR PARK IT'S CALLED A PARKING CHARGE (THEY ARE NOT ALLOWED TO CALL IT PENALTY) THIS IS NOT ENFORCABLE BY LAW. THEY ARE ONLY ALLOWED TO CHARGE YOU WHAT THEY HAVE LOST (CHARGE PER HOUR) IT COMES UNDER CONTRACTUAL LAW. IF YOU GET A LETTER THREATENING YOU JUST IGNORE IT. THERE IS NOTHING THEY CAN DO.
I always value Pilots wit and input

BigRy
Administrator
Administrator

Post by BigRy »

well we got a letter through today saying they are going ahead with the parking scheme £50 for a year to cover admin costs then £20 per year thereafter, then you have to buy visitor permits on top of that! its a joke! out of 18 letters sent they had 6 for and 5 against, what about houses with no occupants, or rented accomodation where people may not have cars etc its just another money making scam! I will be contacting them first thing tommorow!! :evil:

daveelsy
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by daveelsy »

I understand that the council will only introduce a residents parking scheme in a particular area, if enough residents request it.

we have one where I live which means that you can often get parked outside your own house.

HOWEVER, there is no way visitors can park.

To get a permit, the vehicle MUST be registered at that address on the logbook. Recently my neighbour had ahire car for a few days and received a ticket for parking at her own door!
The parking office (and the parking officer at the townhall) say there is NO SYSTEM for temporary permits OF ANY SORT.

memor
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Location: Retired under a big umbrela in the sun with a glass of champagne

Post by memor »

It happened here about three years ago. I'd parked outside my own home free and happily for thirty years now I have to pay for the privilidge.
I always value Pilots wit and input

Jarrow Pete
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Jarrow Pete »

daveelsy wrote:I understand that the council will only introduce a residents parking scheme in a particular area, if enough residents request it.

we have one where I live which means that you can often get parked outside your own house.

HOWEVER, there is no way visitors can park.

To get a permit, the vehicle MUST be registered at that address on the logbook. Recently my neighbour had ahire car for a few days and received a ticket for parking at her own door!
The parking office (and the parking officer at the townhall) say there is NO SYSTEM for temporary permits OF ANY SORT.
Dave did you live at 14 Norfolk Road many years ago?

mickey
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by mickey »

why is the land where the havelock was not being used for parking.
the pub got pulled down,tarmac layed then a little fence built around the area.
surely it could have been used for parking spaces,after all most of that area
is now used for parking.
IVE GOT A LITTLE BLACK BOOK WITH MY POEMS IN.........

Return to “South Shields General Notice Board”