WHITBURN PIT

Leave your remarks about life in South Shields / South Tyneside

Moderator: andysfootball

Mr Smith
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Re: WHITBURN PIT

Post by Mr Smith » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:23 pm

Alfie Clements is now living in Ashington, he married Rita McBurney of 230? Quarry Lane.
I last saw him 3 years ago which was the year of his 65th birthday, he looked as though
he was still in his forties. He was working on rigs of the coast of Africa at the time.
Wise man talk because they have something to say,
fools talk because they have to say something.

Jarrow Pete
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Jarrow Pete » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:58 pm

Mr Smith wrote:Alfie Clements is now living in Ashington, he married Rita McBurney of 230? Quarry Lane.
I last saw him 3 years ago which was the year of his 65th birthday, he looked as though
he was still in his forties. He was working on rigs of the coast of Africa at the time.
Rita lived at 235, my wife Jean lived next door at 237. Suprised Rita was still with Alfie last I heard she was in a retreat for battered wives in Ashington.

Jarrow Pete
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Jarrow Pete » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:03 pm

GRUMPO THE THIRD wrote:
Jarrow Pete wrote:
GRUMPO THE THIRD wrote:Hi Pete, do you remember a lad called Geordie Bashford who lived in Lake Avenue the last |i heard he was in the army but that was a long long time ago. I remember we started a group up and called ourselves The Hartons, we never got to play anywhere as we could not play anything all the way through. Geordie lived in the same square as the Clements. I would love to know where he is and how he is doing now.
Geordie was 4 years younger than me, which would make him 60 now, my wife Jean and brother David went to school with him. He married Raymond and Keith McKies sister Vivian and the wife seems to think he moved out of the area, my brother said the last time he saw him was at Adie Kerkoffs funeral. George Gray who used to post on here as GAG would be able to fill you in with the blanks as he lived next to Geordie and was also into the music scene. The wife also mentioned that Geordies dad Ken was her mothers boss at the General Hospital were he was in charge of catering.Often see Raymond McKie in Jarrow, so once I am mobile again will try to contact him and see if I can get any more details for you.

Thanks Pete. The reason we called ourselves the Hartons was because Geordies dad worked at the Harton Hospital. I haven't seen Raymond since I left school and I can't recall his sister Vivian. There were some nice looking girls knocking around Lake Avenue and Quarry Lane. A lad called Stan lived next door to Geordie, I have forgot he surname and I think a Sandra Box lived close also. It was a shame about Adie.
I forget his name, but there was a lad who lived in the second house in from Lizard Lane, he taught me a lot on the guitar and would fix the ones I brought to him. He was a bit older but put up with me. I heroed worshipped his guitar playing.
Stan and Alfie Burgess lived next door to Geordie,they also had a sister and their father old man Budgie worked at Whitburn pit.

Mr Smith
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Mr Smith » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:34 pm

Jarrow Pete wrote: Suprised Rita was still with Alfie last I heard she was in a retreat for battered wives in Ashington.
I've never heard of anything like that Pete, I know Alfie was very jealous and
Rita was a head turner when she was younger, so who knows what went on.
She was with him the last time I saw him, she's crippled with arthritis and not
very mobile. It was at a get together at The Little Haven when I last saw them
together, about two years ago.
Wise man talk because they have something to say,
fools talk because they have to say something.

Jarrow Pete
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Jarrow Pete » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:02 pm

Laurie spoke with Keith Mackay Geordie Bashfords brother in law at Stan Tylers funeral yesterday. Geordie and Viv live near Southampton,Geordie did 25 years in the army and is still working with them as a civvy maintaining helicopters. Keith was down visiting recently for their 40 th wedding anniversary, time flies so quickly,Keith mentioned that Geordie and Viv's son was a sergeant in the army same as his father used to be.

Also spoke to Leonard Liscombe for the first time in at least 40+ years,still recognised him. other old faces I spoke to were Colin Fenwick,Jimmy Elliot whose late brother Ronnie knocked about with Stan till he died at a young age. Also spoke to
Jimmy's sister Gloria and her husband Peter Vaness.

GRUMPO THE THIRD
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by GRUMPO THE THIRD » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:28 am

Thanks Pete. So Geordie made a full career out of the army. I knew he had joined up but did not know he was in that long. Just think instead of him joining the army and me going to London we could have been world famous musicians if we had of kept up with our group.

It is not the best way to meet up with old friends at a funeral but it must have been good to see them.

Return to “South Shields General Notice Board”