WHITBURN PIT

Leave your remarks about life in South Shields / South Tyneside

Moderator: andysfootball

Firebod-7
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Re: WHITBURN PIT

Post by Firebod-7 » Mon May 10, 2010 6:57 pm

Thank you for a wonderful collection of pictures and your memories. I have always had an interest in the miners and their work. As a lad i lived in an area of Kent that had four or five pits that i can remember still working and i remember how it affected the communities when these mines closed.
I am looking to move to South Shields with my partner who is a Sanddancer, so it will be a home coming for her. This is a long winded way of asking if anybody knows the whereabouts of the Westoe pit head in relation to the modern streets and houses. I have my passport and visa up to date and I know my Sanddancer will not need one. A great place with lovely people, thank you.

Globalmyths
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Globalmyths » Tue May 11, 2010 11:15 am

Firebod-7 wrote:Thank you for a wonderful collection of pictures and your memories. I have always had an interest in the miners and their work. As a lad i lived in an area of Kent that had four or five pits that i can remember still working and i remember how it affected the communities when these mines closed.
I am looking to move to South Shields with my partner who is a Sanddancer, so it will be a home coming for her. This is a long winded way of asking if anybody knows the whereabouts of the Westoe pit head in relation to the modern streets and houses. I have my passport and visa up to date and I know my Sanddancer will not need one. A great place with lovely people, thank you.
You would probably be better off asking that question in Curly's Shop as that is the most frequented area from people in South Shields.
How was a totally inorganic world able to create organic life? Answer it couldn't and didn't

Pilot
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Pilot » Tue May 11, 2010 12:10 pm

This is the area of the former Westoe Pit.
I voted leave

Globalmyths
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Globalmyths » Tue May 11, 2010 1:02 pm

A bit untidy looking. Why don't they fill it in and put a few tree on it?
How was a totally inorganic world able to create organic life? Answer it couldn't and didn't

Pilot
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Pilot » Tue May 11, 2010 1:25 pm

Its not just the area thats still under construction Global, its nearly the whole of the picture that used to be the pit site.
I voted leave

Firebod-7
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by Firebod-7 » Tue May 11, 2010 11:47 pm

Pilot wrote:Image

This is the area of the former Westoe Pit.
Thanks for the map, so Westoe Crown Village is on the pit site.

Globalmyths
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Globalmyths » Wed May 12, 2010 5:02 am

A very large area than. Did it go from a pit to an open cut mining operation?

Pilot
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Pilot » Wed May 12, 2010 8:17 am

No global it was a deep mine that extended for miles under the north sea.
I voted leave

Globalmyths
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Globalmyths » Wed May 12, 2010 8:42 am

As mines go then it was a large one and not a minor one. :lol: :lol:

Jarrow Pete
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Jarrow Pete » Wed May 12, 2010 10:43 pm

siam sam wrote:very good thread, the rattler line used to run behind the house i live in, about three feet from my back garden fence. glad it is not running now the noise must have been disturbing at night. as a little toe rag we used to put old pennies and let the rattler flatten them, first to double your assets with no risk on the stockmarket. the dolls house was surely next to marsden hall or the whitburn gun emplacement just south of whitburn golf clubhouse, now swallowed up by the quarrying operations. does anyone have a picture of salmons hall station on the rattler line, at the bottom of blackberry hill aka horseley hill or downhill. after being away from home for twenty five years as a deepsea engineer everything change each time i returned some times not for the best, especially when the council used trow rocks quarry as a land fill site now putting up warning notices not to dig or touch anything in the ground yet it is still used for the great north run and campers,and they tell us not to pollute the enviroment. westoe crown village is built on a land fill site, anyway iam rambling now like to hear any replies to my comments. bye bye siam sam.
Yes the "dolls house"was on the cliff top about 50 yards from Marsden Hall. The concrete structure with the spiral staircase up the centre was the base for a wooden dove cott that used to sit on top of it.The site of the old navel gun near the golf club has now been swallowed up by the limestone quarry. This was known to us Marsden lads as the dungeons due to rooms with iron bars on the windows down the side of the metal staircase that took you down about 50feet to the start of the tunnels that led you to the big open circular pit that used to house the big gun.

brian c
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by brian c » Mon May 17, 2010 2:59 pm

Site plans of Westoe pit and Whitburn pit in 1955 and 1913 respectively.....

STUPID YOU ARE.................

BREED YOU SHOULD NOT!

quarrylad
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by quarrylad » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:04 pm

hi jarrow pete did you live at marsden, i remember all the good times. plus the sad times, i was with philp summerson when he drowned in the reservoir from quarry lad

Mr Smith
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Mr Smith » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:03 am

quarrylad wrote:hi jarrow pete did you live at marsden, i remember all the good times. plus the sad times, i was with philp summerson when he drowned in the reservoir from quarry lad
Pete lived in Quarry Lane, a couple of doors up from me.
Wise man talk because they have something to say,
fools talk because they have to say something.

Jarrow Pete
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Jarrow Pete » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:41 pm

quarrylad wrote:hi jarrow pete did you live at marsden, i remember all the good times. plus the sad times, i was with philp summerson when he drowned in the reservoir from quarry lad
Hi quarrylad, yes I grew up in Quarry Lane living there from 1949 till 1973, knocked about with Sammy Summerson. Will never forget that day when Phillip drowned, if only one of you had thought of flagging down the pit bus on the high road instead of running down for old Sammy his father it might have been different.Can still remember the screams of grief from Peggy his mother as she was dumping all his toys in the bin.When you think back to it the reservoir was a death trap with its steep sloping sides,its a miracle that more of us did not drown there.Give me a pm with your name, will probably know you even though you will be younger than me. Another poster on the boards Pilot grew up at Marsden same time as me and there are several more who post on here from Marsden.

quarrylad
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by quarrylad » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:42 pm

hi pete, i lived 257 quarry lane (liscombes) i am the youngest alan,lived there 1953 to1968. had some great times growing up there with good mates.i still regret not running to the old golf club house for help when philp fell in the resevoir.we were only 7 years old,and paniked, also remember two older lads there at the time,if only.

quarrylad
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by quarrylad » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:05 pm

hi jarrow pete,lived 257 quarry lane from 1953 to 1968.(liscombes) i am the youngest alan,had some really good mates at marsden.still regret not running to the old golf club house when philp fell into the resevoir,just 7 years old and we panicked, yes the sides were steep we used to sit on the side and paddle our feet in.philp was the first to take his shoes and socks off,and just slid straight in.there were two older lads there at the time who i thought would have done something at the time,still dont no why to this day. if only? the dangerous things we used to do in them days,climbing cliffs at 9 years old hidding in bonfires hoping no body lit it. keeping all the bonty stuff in hornsbys wash house having a sly fag hoping the whole lot didnt go up in flames.used to go nesting at the kilns with john kirkoff, he used to climb like a bloody monkey.how did we survive from quarrylad

Jarrow Pete
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Jarrow Pete » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:56 am

quarrylad wrote:hi jarrow pete,lived 257 quarry lane from 1953 to 1968.(liscombes) i am the youngest alan,had some really good mates at marsden.still regret not running to the old golf club house when philp fell into the resevoir,just 7 years old and we panicked, yes the sides were steep we used to sit on the side and paddle our feet in.philp was the first to take his shoes and socks off,and just slid straight in.there were two older lads there at the time who i thought would have done something at the time,still dont no why to this day. if only? the dangerous things we used to do in them days,climbing cliffs at 9 years old hidding in bonfires hoping no body lit it. keeping all the bonty stuff in hornsbys wash house having a sly fag hoping the whole lot didnt go up in flames.used to go nesting at the kilns with john kirkoff, he used to climb like a bloody monkey.how did we survive from quarrylad
Hi Alan always say it was a small world living in Quarry Lane, I am Peter Webber and lived at 225, my future wife Jean Anderson lived at 237 Quarry Lane. I knocked about with your brother Lenny, always remember he had a bit of a squeaky voice when he was young, someone said he drank some bleach thinking it was pop. Knocked about with John Martin your next door neighbour and Ronnie and Jimmy Elliot. Was good mates with Adie, Johns older brother right up to his death,saw John at Adies funeral and was suprised to see their father was still alive and he still remembered me,the unfortunete thing about living at Marsden were the ones who suffered serious injury or death in our younger days. When my children were younger we had the chance of moving to a council house at Marsden,but with having two sons and knowing what we used to do We turned it down as me and the wife would have ended up nervous wrecks. You might have remembered the wifes brother John Anderson he would have been about your age.Regarding the bonfire rubbish you stored in Tommy and Ralphs washouse, we did the same but my younger brother David and neighbour Paul Kay built a camp amongst it and lit a candle causing the wash house to burn down. Oh what happy days they were though.

GRUMPO THE THIRD
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by GRUMPO THE THIRD » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:01 pm

Hi Pete, do you remember a lad called Geordie Bashford who lived in Lake Avenue the last |i heard he was in the army but that was a long long time ago. I remember we started a group up and called ourselves The Hartons, we never got to play anywhere as we could not play anything all the way through. Geordie lived in the same square as the Clements. I would love to know where he is and how he is doing now.

Jarrow Pete
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Jarrow Pete » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:36 pm

GRUMPO THE THIRD wrote:Hi Pete, do you remember a lad called Geordie Bashford who lived in Lake Avenue the last |i heard he was in the army but that was a long long time ago. I remember we started a group up and called ourselves The Hartons, we never got to play anywhere as we could not play anything all the way through. Geordie lived in the same square as the Clements. I would love to know where he is and how he is doing now.
Geordie was 4 years younger than me, which would make him 60 now, my wife Jean and brother David went to school with him. He married Raymond and Keith McKies sister Vivian and the wife seems to think he moved out of the area, my brother said the last time he saw him was at Adie Kerkoffs funeral. George Gray who used to post on here as GAG would be able to fill you in with the blanks as he lived next to Geordie and was also into the music scene. The wife also mentioned that Geordies dad Ken was her mothers boss at the General Hospital were he was in charge of catering.Often see Raymond McKie in Jarrow, so once I am mobile again will try to contact him and see if I can get any more details for you.

GRUMPO THE THIRD
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by GRUMPO THE THIRD » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:56 pm

Jarrow Pete wrote:
GRUMPO THE THIRD wrote:Hi Pete, do you remember a lad called Geordie Bashford who lived in Lake Avenue the last |i heard he was in the army but that was a long long time ago. I remember we started a group up and called ourselves The Hartons, we never got to play anywhere as we could not play anything all the way through. Geordie lived in the same square as the Clements. I would love to know where he is and how he is doing now.
Geordie was 4 years younger than me, which would make him 60 now, my wife Jean and brother David went to school with him. He married Raymond and Keith McKies sister Vivian and the wife seems to think he moved out of the area, my brother said the last time he saw him was at Adie Kerkoffs funeral. George Gray who used to post on here as GAG would be able to fill you in with the blanks as he lived next to Geordie and was also into the music scene. The wife also mentioned that Geordies dad Ken was her mothers boss at the General Hospital were he was in charge of catering.Often see Raymond McKie in Jarrow, so once I am mobile again will try to contact him and see if I can get any more details for you.

Thanks Pete. The reason we called ourselves the Hartons was because Geordies dad worked at the Harton Hospital. I haven't seen Raymond since I left school and I can't recall his sister Vivian. There were some nice looking girls knocking around Lake Avenue and Quarry Lane. A lad called Stan lived next door to Geordie, I have forgot he surname and I think a Sandra Box lived close also. It was a shame about Adie.
I forget his name, but there was a lad who lived in the second house in from Lizard Lane, he taught me a lot on the guitar and would fix the ones I brought to him. He was a bit older but put up with me. I heroed worshipped his guitar playing.

Return to “South Shields General Notice Board”