MURDERS IN SOUTH SHIELDS

Leave your remarks about life in South Shields / South Tyneside

Moderator: andysfootball

comeonthen
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

MURDERS IN SOUTH SHIELDS

Post by comeonthen » Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:58 pm

I have just read the book South Shields Murder & Misdeameanour that is advertised in tonights Gazette, a great read. I should know as I was the one who wrote it. Does anybody out there know of any similiar books about murders in South Shields. the above book is from the early 1900s I would like to read about anything later than this.
comeonthen
Last edited by comeonthen on Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

jimmywizz

Re: MURDERS IN SOUTH SHIELDS

Post by jimmywizz » Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:25 pm

try a search on google, i have seen a few books over the years pop up with a mention but i am unable to remember the titles of them, one good one if i remember covers the whole of tyneside and has some good ones in it

comeonthen
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by comeonthen » Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:29 pm

Thanks jimmywhizz. I think I know which one you mean. I was specifically looking for a one concerning only South Tyneside. I guess I am due for another crawl through the local library. Gets a bit dusty downstairs.
comeonthen

brian c
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by brian c » Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:37 pm

I believe therewas a murder at the old oil storage site near the Littlehave Hotel

STUPID YOU ARE.................

BREED YOU SHOULD NOT!

baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith » Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:00 am

brian c wrote:I believe therewas a murder at the old oil storage site near the Littlehave Hotel
The murder didn't happen there brian, but the body was found inside one of the storage tanks during
cleaning it out. The body had been there fore some time, the killer was brought to justice. I remember
the case well.

8)

sless
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sless » Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:15 am

ernest adolphus clarke

i think he was innocent
of the torso in the tank murder

gag
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by gag » Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:33 am

I agree Sless. I dont think "The Killer was brought to justice" at all. Earnest Clarke was convicted on what amounts to the flimsiest of evidence and I think a gross miscarriage of justice took place.

cheers.

gag.
You can take the lad out of Shields, but you cannot take Shields out of the lad !!!!!!!!!!!

baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith » Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:26 pm

They actually did a TV programme about him; and the case. His case featured in "Rough Justice" and
despite the evidence presented and the consequent appeal which followed, his appeal was dismissed; if
I remember correctly.

8)

comeonthen
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by comeonthen » Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:41 pm

I too tend to believe that Ernest Clarke did not do this murder. The Rough Justice Programme just about proved he was innocent, but then they were coming from the innocent angle. I think he lives in Hull, if he is still alive. If he was innocent then the real murderer must still be around, will he please step forward. He might even be on these boards. I think his case should be reopened. If he is guilty so be it, if innocent then the person who did it must be punished and not allowed to get away with it no matter how long ago it was.
Mind you I believed that James Hanratty was innocent after reading books and watching tv about the subject. He was proven guilty by DNA evidence recently.
comeonthen

anna
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by anna » Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:42 pm

comeonthen wrote: If he was innocent then the real murderer must still be around, will he please step forward. He might even be on these boards. I think his case should be reopened. If he is guilty so be it, if innocent then the person who did it must be punished and not allowed to get away with it no matter how long ago it was.
If he was on these boards,Mr Smith would have sniffed him out ,nowt gets past our own detective :wink:

Barney
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Barney » Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:33 am

About the same time as the Torso in the Tank murder, my cousin was murdered and rolled up in a carpet and dumped behind the Vets club in Laygate.
The son of the manager of the Britania was convicted of manslaughter, because of extenuating circumstances.
When he got out of prison, he attacked a woman and her daughter off Cheviot Road in Horsley Hill.
When he got out after that, he murdered a snooker club manageress in Sheffield (I think).
Not sure what happened to him after that.

baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith » Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:38 am

I've had three family members murdered in two seperate incidents.
The first was an aunt, murdered in Wallsend about 20 years ago.
The other was my 80 year old brother in law and his wife, kidnapped,
tortured and stabbed to death in Venezuela almost six years ago.
In both cases more than one person was involved in the killing, and
I'm pleased to say that all of those involved were brought to justice.
One of those convicted in Venezuela was himself murdered in prison.
The two convicted for the murder of my aunt are now free and walking
the streets, after completing their sentence.
It is at this time of the year when I think of my murdered family most.

8)

gag
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by gag » Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:45 pm

Dont want to start off another capital punishment thread but with regards to Barneys post, If that guy had been hung following the first murder, those women in Cheviot road and that snooker hall manageress would never have had to suffer from his actions. Say what you like but, I stand by my proposal that where murder is proven BEYOND ALL/ANY REASONABLE DOUBT, execution should take place. If you have a mad dog, put it to sleep.

cheers.

gag.
You can take the lad out of Shields, but you cannot take Shields out of the lad !!!!!!!!!!!

Barney
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Barney » Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:04 pm

Yeah, I have to agree with gag on this one.
If they'd even given Dudgeon an appropriate sentence to start off with, those other women might have been saved from his depravity.

Axeman
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Axeman » Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:50 pm

Barney wrote:Yeah, I have to agree with gag on this one.
If they'd even given Dudgeon an appropriate sentence to start off with, those other women might have been saved from his depravity.
I think he was in the same year at Redwell when I was there ?

WWW.NEWHARTLEYSERVICES.CO.UK. SAVE SAVE SAVE. Swap to a cheaper, better service.
Play in an on-line lottery syndicate...WWW.BETLOTT.COM

Pilot
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Pilot » Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:06 pm

I remember the guy who was convicted of the Torso in the tank murder, he used to sit outside the gates at the lawe oil wharf/velva liquids site when I served my time, smoking his pipe, he stuck in the mind as you didn't see many black guys around there in those days, he was always friendly. The main thing they had against him was, he was the only guy at the site who knew the murdered girl, she used to baby sit for him. There was a suspicion at the time that the girl could have been murdered on a ship at the velva berth, I remember them tracing all the ships to berth there over a long period, but it came to nothing.
I voted leave

Axeman
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Axeman » Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:09 pm

I don't want to say too much as you never know who's on the boards..don't want to upset anyone..

When I had my brief spell in the Police I had to watch over a kid in the cells.

He killed a young girl, I think his girlfriend, by stabbing her in Mowbray Road in 1975..

Don't know what happened to him, but he looked quite calm and collected in the cells.... a bit frightening..

Hate to think he's out and about now.

WWW.NEWHARTLEYSERVICES.CO.UK. SAVE SAVE SAVE. Swap to a cheaper, better service.
Play in an on-line lottery syndicate...WWW.BETLOTT.COM

comeonthen
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by comeonthen » Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:28 pm

The last I heard of Dudgeon he was still in prison at Durham. He is classed as a highly dangerous person and will never be released. His sister is very nice, she has a different name now and still lives in Shields.
comonthen

andysfootball

Post by andysfootball » Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:05 pm

a cud murda a curry
STAY CALM AND SANDDANCE ON

anna
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by anna » Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:02 am

:D @Andy ....