Quitting Smoking...how hard!

Leave your remarks about life in South Shields / South Tyneside

Moderator: andysfootball

party_boy
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Quitting Smoking...how hard!

Post by party_boy »

after a few years of smoking i decided last week to quit, i'm not using any methods just the good old will power, has anyone got any tips for me as it is so hard, and how did u's all stop smoking (if you smoked in the past that is)

Thank You!
I mean no harm, most of the time
Pilot
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Pilot »

You just have to go cold turkey, avoid places where people will be smoking, the first 10 years are the worst. :wink: Only joking, the craving diminishes with time. If nothing else helps try hypnotherapy, it can have amazing results. Good luck, you can do it and at your age its got to make sense.
I voted leave

anna
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by anna »

party-boy, good luck, :smokey:
party_boy
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by party_boy »

Pilot wrote:You just have to go cold turkey, avoid places where people will be smoking, the first 10 years are the worst. :wink: Only joking, the craving diminishes with time. If nothing else helps try hypnotherapy, it can have amazing results. Good luck, you can do it and at your age its got to make sense.
thanks pilot, i havent had a cigarette for about 5 days now, but tonight will be the real test for me, going to a party at the top club, and the smoking ban isnt in yet :? going to try my best
loadedpistols
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

best wishes

Post by loadedpistols »

will powers all you need you give up or d*e. thats the choice.
things ,can only get better?
Pilot
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Pilot »

Stay positive, if you can go without for 5 days, you can got without for ever, in a few years you'll be wondering why you ever smoked. 8)
I voted leave

Deka
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Deka »

Be positive,tell yourself you dont need to light up
personally speaking i used sweets as a substitute.
Good Luck to you,willpower needed.
Look to the future
memor
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Location: Retired under a big umbrela in the sun with a glass of champagne

Post by memor »

Speaking as someone who used to smoke 60 Bensons a day.

I gave up 33 years ago before patches using only will power.

I found that using breathing techniques very helpful.

When you feel the urge for cigarette take in really deep lungful of air.

Hold it a few seconds and slowly. (and I mean very slowly )Let it out almost as if you are blowing smoke out lungs.

If it helps hold the two fingers you held cigarette up tp your lips as if you had cigarette in them.

Do this three times (Holding breath and letting out slowly)

The more times you do it when you get the urges for cigarette it get less and less.

I virtually not feel like cigarette after a week.

It not a complete fix. Sometimes the urge is really strong and you need real will power but it helps.

Also last thing but FIRST thing. You GOT TO WANT to give up cigarettes.

Not some half arsed attempt you've got to want to give up 100% strongly.

Good Luck
I always value Pilots wit and input
g0var
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by g0var »

I used to be a thirty a day... started at 12 quit 13 years ago at 43...

... if I can do it, anybody can..

best tip I can give you is..

you have to realise that its a "two part" habit.. you have the nicotine addiction and the physical/(automatic reaching for and lighting up without realising it) habit..

I found the only thing that worked were the patches.. they allowed me to break the physical/automatic habit, while still getting the nicotine, that way you can train yourself to find something else to do on those occations that you would normally reach for a cigarette.. after a month or so of that, I could reduce the dose on the patch and gradually ween myself off them...

it still took about three or four months for the cravings to go completely and even now, if I get a whiff of fresh smoke....

... it doesnt make me want to smoke, but it does remind me of how much I used to enjoy it......

just remember, there is NO MAGIC cure... I've had medical training, I've seen what it does to the body, I've seen the cost..... the thing that finally spurred me on to quit was the feeling that I was now in the minority and that everyone else was looking down their noses at me, I came to feel like a social outcast... the realisation that I reaked of stale smoke, I had bad breath, yellow teeth, ......... fill in the rest of the blanks yourself...

But regardless of all the medical/financial considerations, the only way you will quit, is if YOU really want to..

I had a real shock on Saturday, I was in Tesco's on and noticed that 200 Silk Cut are now £51.50..

... that means if I still smoked, I would be spending £1,880 a year on cigarettes. !!!!!!!

I wish you the very best of Good luck...

... something they didnt tell me, once I realised I had finally kicked it... I felt on top of the world..
When designing something completely foolproof, the designers seldom take account of the inginuity of complete fools !

Cogito Ergo Doleo
Babooshka

Post by Babooshka »

memor wrote: When you feel the urge for cigarette take in really deep lungful of air.
Hold it a few seconds and slowly. (and I mean very slowly )Let it out almost as if you are blowing smoke out lungs.

If it helps hold the two fingers you held cigarette up tp your lips as if you had cigarette in them.

Do this three times (Holding breath and letting out slowly)
:lol: :lol: :lol: Memor dunno if thats meant in a comical way or not but I almost passed out laughing at that line, imagining the scene
Last edited by Babooshka on Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
freon
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by freon »

Hey its not that hard and you get your taste buds back as well
so you back off on the salt on your food and thats a plus
cheers
party_boy
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by party_boy »

i have found that fiddling with a pen keeps your mind off cigs
johnc10
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by johnc10 »

I found after having a triple heart bypass last november strangely i've never touch a cigarette since :shock:
g0var
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by g0var »

johnc10 wrote:I found after having a triple heart bypass last november strangely i've never touch a cigarette since :shock:
effective, if a little extreme....... :shock:
When designing something completely foolproof, the designers seldom take account of the inginuity of complete fools !

Cogito Ergo Doleo
Scrappy

Post by Scrappy »

LOL @ Babbs Post...

Not being Funny or nothing memor, but it did sound sort of funny :lol:

Im in a silly mood tonight..