aye

Post by loadedpistols »

so much blindness 8)
things ,can only get better?
Ugly Betty
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Ugly Betty »

Glad you had a nice time, Pilot. Was lovely of Mrs. P to plot so far ahead. Pity the ticket peeps spoiled the surprise, but it sounds like you had a great night anyway.
Pilot
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Pilot »

Betty, I know she was disliked in certain circles in the USA way back, but I think she is a remarkable woman, who tried through song to change attitudes the USA should be proud of her. Yes thanks it was a great night for me. :D
I voted leave

Ugly Betty
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Ugly Betty »

Pilot wrote:Betty, I know she was disliked in certain circles in the USA way back, but I think she is a remarkable woman, who tried through song to change attitudes the USA should be proud of her. Yes thanks it was a great night for me. :D
Those who disliked her then are generally the same folks now who say opposing the current war is unpatriotic, Pilot. I pay them no heed. It's our duty as Americans to speak out when we think our government is doing it all wrong. More power to people like Joan Baez and those who are brave enough to dissent.
Delilahcat
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Delilahcat »

padlock man wrote:Well, it's nice to find a few old folkies staggering around the place.

But why am I not surprised that Delilahcat shouldn't like the idea of Roots as an anthem?
I have not rubbished it as a song I just don't think it has a strong enough tune for an anthem.
I'm with Billy Connolly when he suggested the Archers signature tune.
mrp
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Re: Joan Baez at the Sage

Post by mrp »

Pilot wrote:We went to see Joan Baez at the Sage last night, she was absolutely brilliant 1hr 45mins none stop to a sell out audience, mostly of people my age 50s and 60s who no doubt remember her in her protest days in the 1960s. Brought back great memories of my days in CND and anti Vietnam war protests, she was hated by some in USA for her protests against the war and her fight for equal rights for blacks before it became popular. if you like folk music try to go to see her you wont be disappointed, she also had good things to say about the acoustics at the Sage, she said it was state of the art and second to none Worldwide.
Can I ask a question?

"The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down"

It sounds like it is a celebratory song. There was nothing to celebrate about the US Civil War. In itself, it did not end slavery, it was as bloody as the Napoleonic and Great wars and nearly ripped the US apart, into another Europe (think about how the US and Europe trade with each other and saw off the Nazis and Communists together).

She seems quite mad for celebrating. Did I miss the point (e.g, the war is over, slavery is over, the union is restored etc)?
Insulus cruentam atque bella. Si pugnaverunt eleutheria toties vis bello itidem vel libertatibus conservare autem?
Ad liberandum aliis fieri liberior.
Ugly Betty
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Ugly Betty »

Not sure I take it as a celebratory song, Mrp. Seems more like a eulogy, maybe even a memorial to the remaining divide.

Virgil Caine is the name and I served on the Danville train
'Til Stoneman's cavalry came and tore up the tracks again
In the winter of '65, we were hungry, just barely alive
By May the tenth, Richmond had fell, it's a time I remember oh so well

The night they drove Old Dixie down and the bells were ringing
The night they drove Old Dixie down and the people were singin', they went
La-la-la la-la-la, la-la-la la-la-la, la-la-la-la

Back with my wife in Tennessee, when one day she called to me
"Virgil, quick, come see, there goes Robert E. Lee!"
Now I don't mind choppin' wood, and I don't care if the money's no good
Ya take what ya need and ya leave the rest
But they should never have taken the very best

The night they drove old Dixie down and the bells were ringing
The night they drove old Dixie down and all the people were singin', they went
Na-na-na na-na-na, na-na-na na-na-na, na-na-na-na

Like my father before me, I will work the land
And like my brother before me, who took a rebel stand

He was just eighteen, proud and brave
But a Yankee laid him in his grave
I swear by the mud below my feet
You can't raise a Caine back up when he's in defeat

The night they drove old Dixie oown and the bells were ringing
The night they drove old Dixie down and all the people were singin', they went

The night they drove old Dixie down and all the bells were ringing
The night they drove old Dixie down and the people were singin', they went
captain beefheart
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by captain beefheart »

Pilot states
"Delilahcat, lets just say she has lived life to the full. She did a great Bob Dylan take off in one of her songs last night. For all her fame she appears to stay close to her beliefs as a young woman and I admire her for that, so many people get a little wealth and turn their backs on their roots, like one or two who post here, I hope it never happens to me. "
You know Pilot I respect you immensly but at times you talk absolute tosh, Joan Baez sits spouting her beliefs when counting her millions, thats OK then.
You seem to say once poor then we should stick to our class and remain poor while no doubt moaning about the folks that have done well, many a time through hard work and sacrifice.
There is no glory in trying to hold on to your roots (or class as i presume you are saying ), its misty eyed nonesense, the best you can do for your fellow man is to create wealth and jobs to help others to a better life
jarrajock
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by jarrajock »

not meaning to be ignorant but ive not heard any of her stuff is she some kind of anti war campainer
Pilot
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Pilot »

Captain you have misread what I was trying to say. I have no problem with people working hard and making money or exploiting a talent to better ones self. I came from a very poor family, my father spent long periods out of work, after being a regular in the army for many years before and during the war. My Mother suffered from heart trouble all her life and still struggled to work against doctors orders. I left home at 16 and it was hard, I studied and earned a good wage, all of it payed in England and fully taxed (I only say this as some seem to think going to sea was a tax dodge) I am now very, very comfortable, not rich, but I have no money worries, I have seen both of my children through University, I made sure they had no debt after they left, they now have good well paid jobs. Having said all that I never forget who I am and where I came from, I respect all working men, no matter what there position is, My bin man gets a six pack at new year and I respect the job he does. If that makes me a misty eyed fool then you are right that is what I'm about. I don't know Joan Baez, I do know she is no saint, but I have followed her career over the last 40 odd years and I know she has stayed true to her beliefs, even while making millions. I try to stay true to mine.
I voted leave

jarrajock
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by jarrajock »

good for you pilot
Pilot
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Pilot »

jarrowjock, she is a folk singer and pacifist, who has campaigned all her life against war and racial prejudice.
I voted leave

jarrajock
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by jarrajock »

pilot if hes a captain and your a pilot whos the senior ranker
Pilot
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Pilot »

I have never been one to use titles, I call myself Pilot on here because it was my profession, I bow to the Captains rank.
Someone once asked me, I'm not sure if it was on here or the Seagoing site I was thrown off, "Who is the most important person to the Pilot when he goes onboard a ship" they guessed it was the captain. I said no, when I'm at the bottom of the Pilot ladder, its the AB who made it fast and on a cold winters morning it was the steward asking "Milk and one sugar Pilot? Then when I ring full astern its the Engineer at the controls and when approaching the berth its the man with the heaving line trying to get first rope ashore. The Captain? well he can sign my bill when the work is over.
I guess what I am trying to say is we are all important, we all rely on each other no matter what job we do, some people forget that.
Sorry Babs another essay. :wink:
I voted leave

StottieCake
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by StottieCake »

BETTY - THANKS FOR THE LYRICS COS THAT CLEARS UP THE CONFUSION FOR ME TOO
jarrajock
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by jarrajock »

thanks for the info pilot on both issues what your saying is its all about teamwork
mrp
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by mrp »

StottieCake wrote:BETTY - THANKS FOR THE LYRICS COS THAT CLEARS UP THE CONFUSION FOR ME TOO
Thank you as well.
Insulus cruentam atque bella. Si pugnaverunt eleutheria toties vis bello itidem vel libertatibus conservare autem?
Ad liberandum aliis fieri liberior.
Ugly Betty
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Ugly Betty »

You're most welcome, Stottie Cake and Mrp. :D
robpapE2
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by robpapE2 »

yes JB was a real blast ..feeling flush during the concert I bought a boxed set of her work ..excellent ..hope to review it elsewhere soon..hope you liked my review in the Gazette tonight