Deck Officer Cadet

at3283
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Deck Officer Cadet

Post by at3283 »

Hi all. I'm new here. :)

I'm not sure if I've come to the right place, but I was wondering if anyone is on the Deck Officer Cadet course? I'm thinking of applying, but have a few questions. Unfortunately, I missed the Open Day at the college a few weeks back.

*Is there a maximum age? (I'm nearly 21)
*What is it like to live on board the ship (is it fun, hard, do you share a cabin etc)?
*Do you get a wage whilst on the course?
*During the 6 months sea-based training, do you get any 'holiday leave' (to go home etc)?
*I'm not very good at maths (however, I did get good GCSEs in other subjects, and I've been to college) - will this go against me?
*I'm female - are there many female cadet officers?

I'd be really grateful for any help anyone could give me. Even if you could direct me to the right place to ask these questions, would be a great help!

Thank you
:)
The Red Mariner Version 2
Big Gob
Big Gob

Post by The Red Mariner Version 2 »

hey there. yeah i'm on the course.

theres no real age limit aslong as the companys are willing to pay for you to do the course.

bout livin on the ship..it all depends cos i'e been on a couple of real fun ships and one that wasnt so fun...so as i said it all depends.

wage wise i get the same while on ship as when in college...and i think thats the same as everyone else. the basic wage varies from company to company but its all about the same really.

yeah you get leave. you only end up doin around 4 months-ish at sea and the rest is leave durnin that team.

if you have the GCSE's that should be good enough. the maths done on the couse (or at least what i've done so far) is all pretty basic just applied to the subject

and finally there is loads of female officers and theres a few at the college now.

so even though you missed the open day (and i think there was another one today) just get on the internet and get application forms etc. fill them out and get them sent away and then see what happends.

also the college itself has loads of info in the information centre next to the main entrance so that would be a good resource for gaining more indepth info.

hope i've been of some help (and hopefully someone else can as fill in any gaps i may have miss out)
baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

Better late than never Red Mariner.

The post you are replying to was made two years ago, so the lad is likely to have finished the course and is probably an admiral by now :lol:

Serves as useful infromation for anyone else looking for the same sort of advice though. :wink:

8)
The Red Mariner Version 2
Big Gob
Big Gob

Post by The Red Mariner Version 2 »

shows how much attention i pay dunnit. :P meh....i think my point was made lol
Pilot
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Pilot »

lets all hope you a little bit more observant when you get onto the bridge of a ship. :wink:
I voted leave

Ghostbuster cche
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Ghostbuster cche »

Can you dress and become a Scally/Chav etc on the course too?.

Bet the place is full of rebels ..... :lol:.