Limelites Nightclub

Info on our local pubs & clubs
Big Nick
Head Doer
Head Doer

Limelites Nightclub

Post by Big Nick »

Does anybody have any stories from the Halcyon days that were Limelites in the early 90's??

I used to spend every Saturday night in the place and had a wicked time!

1000 punters crammed in and good old DJ Barney on the deck's spinnin some great old tunes!

The smell of Vick's Vapour Rub in the air and everyone seemed SO FRIENDLY!!!! :wink:
Red & White and Proud
anna
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by anna »

Hi Big Nick... i have just joined this site ,,so i am a little late in replying to you .. Yes i remeber Limelights well,, a close member of my family was The Manager there..we had some great nights there,,the place was jumping! the big dance floor ,was impossible to dance on sometimes,,as it was packed..Had a bit more room in the V.I.P Lounge,gave up trying to get on the dance floor ,,we used to just dance where we were standing,,and yes the place was so friendly,,every body was every bodys friend..[ might have something to do with the white doves that used to fly around at the time.. lol . :wink: ].. you carnt get that atomosphere anywhere now..been to all the other clubs,,and none have that same feel as Limelights did ,in its day! And the DJ.. he was brilliant,,he got the whole place rocking ...together.. you dont see that in any other club you go to ..Take Care... A..
Big Nick
Head Doer
Head Doer

Hi Anna....

Post by Big Nick »

Yeah, it's taken a while for anyone to post this topic, maybe they are too young to remember Limey's, haha.....

Was it Glenn who was the close friend??? i used to work there for about three years until Mason's took it over and spoilt it totally.....

I'm living out in the Middle East now and get back at least once a year, but your right about the clubs atmostphere's now, not a patch. i keep in touch with a few fella's from then but lost touch a long time ago. Most of them are still doing to the same, if you know what i mean :wink:

what's youre surname, maybe i have met you before????

Nick.
Red & White and Proud
anna
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by anna »

It was Norman,, but i do remeber Glen,, and yes it did change once it changed hands...can you remeber Sandra,, Normans sister,,she worked on the door[not as doorman.cashier.]and behind bar..We had some real good times in there..
Jim_in_France
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Jim_in_France »

I'm too OLD to remember. :lol:

Where was Limelites? Was it one of the old Shields clubs?

Chelsea Cat?
Tavern?
La Strada?
Beach Club?
The Ranch House?
Ruperts?

I forgot the name of the one in Laygate? Its on the tip of my tongue!
And another Down Street? whose name I cant remember.
"The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast."

"We are each our own devil, and we make this world our hell."

Oscar Wilde
anna
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by anna »

Limelights, was where the Ranch was i think ...they rebuilt it ....behind The Criterion,, lol... :D
anna
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by anna »

And was it the Kismet ,, the one at Laygate,,the one you couldnt remember ?? Limelights is classed as being in Mile End Rd,, It opposite Ship and Royal,,tucked in side st.. im not to clever at names as they have all changed now ..but i thinks its called the Cube now ...but i might be wrong so dont quote me ....lol :P
Jim_in_France
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Jim_in_France »

yes I remember now Anna. And yes the Kismet. Ive have spent many a nite in there! :lol:
"The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast."

"We are each our own devil, and we make this world our hell."

Oscar Wilde
jimmywizz
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by jimmywizz »

the kissy is still standing but is some type of judo club now, the la strada is long gone as is the shoreline, the ranch house was also called the talk of the town, rum runner & limelights to name a few, in the hay day of limelites norman run it but also had glen as manager and at one point donna also run it, but the club belonged to a shields lass whos boyfriend was a rich arab who gave it to her as a present
anna
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by anna »

Its good to read posts that are a 100 percent correct, 10 out of 10 Jimmy,im impressed..
jimmywizz
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by jimmywizz »

oops i left a little detail off, the boyfriend had 51% share and his girlfriend had 49% or so i was led to belive
Betty Boo
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Limelites

Post by Betty Boo »

Oh my god!! I've just been taken back 14 yrs or so reading this!
I was a regular at Limelites, with my complimentary VIP card that was dished out by Norman or Graham. Glenn was just making his way up the ladder then. Stretch was on the "cocktail" bar with Davy Barnes, and as you mentioned earlier, Barney was the old faithful on the decks.

How many people rushed to see if your piccy was in the Gazette on a Thursday either snogging someone you weren't supposed to, or just looking completely blotto??
marrasis

limelites nightclub

Post by marrasis »

before limelites it used to be banwells which is where i met my hubby all them years ago :D
gazza
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by gazza »

aha ha..............sum 1 menshun thu ranch...? dont 4 get thu tavern...... :D
.......GET-ME-A-RUM-INSTEAD........
jimmywizz
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by jimmywizz »

betty boo glen now works in management in the dusk club over the road to where limelites was
Betty Boo
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Limelites

Post by Betty Boo »

Glen was a great lad, they all were.

I had many a good laugh with them all. There was a huge group of people who got together on a Sunday night, usually ending up at 69 bar for a good old sing song, or somebody's house to extend the night!

Those were the days!
marrasis

limelites nightclub

Post by marrasis »

aye betty boo those were the good old days :lol:
village cat
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Re: limelites nightclub

Post by village cat »

marrasis wrote:before limelites it used to be banwells which is where i met my hubby all them years ago :D
Ahh Banwell's. Happy days. The first night club I went to. I always used to have to take my driving licence for ID, as I looked about 12. Nee wonder I couldn't get off with anybody :cry:
marrasis

limelites

Post by marrasis »

yes Banwells, i spent many a drunken night in there.. keep looking village cat there someone out there for everybody,unless u have already that is :wink:
village cat
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Re: limelites

Post by village cat »

marrasis wrote:yes Banwells, i spent many a drunken night in there.. keep looking village cat there someone out there for everybody,unless u have already that is :wink:
:lol: Been too many since then. Relationships are overrated :wink: