ootsice the A1 cafe

me legs still tremble
STAY CALM AND SANDDANCE ON
cushy butterfield
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Re: Chelsea Cat 80's

Post by cushy butterfield »

haha very good andy.........musnt have been that good though cos I cannot remember
life is not how many breathes you take its how much life takes your breath away
shadowplay

Post by shadowplay »

PartyGirl wrote:
andysfootball wrote:used to go to the cat from about 75 until 82!
82?? That is the year I was born!!! Is the Chelsea Cat the big club behind Fowler Street? I think it is called Wave and re-opened about 4/5 years ago but only last a few months. It was really nice inside as well, think quite a bit money was spent on it and you could tell. Shame it didnt last long!!!!!
in the early 90's it was called the tunnel ,had some canny nights in there .we usually went to either the tunnel or oz or roxannes or dirty annes as it is now known these days its taken over from where la strada left off
TheChelseaCat
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by TheChelseaCat »

I used to work at The Chelsea Cat from about 83 until it changed hands and became The Tunnel and then The Zoo(!)

Good Times.
mickey
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by mickey »

there is work going on at the cat now,seems to be getting done out.
does anybody know what its gonna be.
IVE GOT A LITTLE BLACK BOOK WITH MY POEMS IN.........
martymont
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by martymont »

I tried to get in the Cat but was stopped because I looked like the marine cadets at College from the Middle East went elsewhere afew years before that I went to the La Strada, Latino ( Tavern to you younger ones :lol: :lol: ) I lied about my age used to work in the Shoreline when I was 14 great times times
daryn
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by daryn »

Well unfortunately the chelsea cat is gonna be a dentists,Im gutted it would have been good to have it back and i think it would have made a fortune if it had gone back to the way it was ,and played all the old 70's and 80's.Just look at glitterball everyone loves the goldie oldies ,never mind if i win the lotto il buy it of them and turn it back hahaha
Check out www.southshieldsnightlife.co.uk the new website dedicated to south shields nightlife and the party people of shields
anna
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by anna »

That would have been a good idea,to open it up again,70/80 music..
it would have been a lot more classier than Glitterball.... :roll:
sless
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sless »

no way anna
glitterball rules
you need somewhere for all the tatty owld bits to gaan
anna
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by anna »

yeah ,i suppose your right ... :roll:
thats why i dont go there ... :D
mickey
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by mickey »

a bloody dentist :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
thats shocking that, theres one just next to the cat already.

whats the world coming to eh :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
IVE GOT A LITTLE BLACK BOOK WITH MY POEMS IN.........
anna
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by anna »

obviously,people arnt looking after there teeth ... :D
there is enough pubs and clubs Micky ,do you not think ..
Mind ,if i came into some money ,i would buy something like that ,but make it into a pub-club for the over 40,s
seriously ,somewhere you can go ,and sit comfortable ,and be able to hear what the next person is saying ..
one floor for dancing ,another floor for chilling ,,,that was one of the best things about the Cat,it had diffrent floors for diffrent needs.........
we have nowhere in shields like that ...........
Sless you stick with the Glitterball ... :wink:
daryn
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by daryn »

Exactly the cat had it all ,great looking club ,a nice place to sit and chat with something to eat and a great disco upstairs, great music bring back the 80's.Im a taxi driver and i can tell you now the clientele that you get down there is not the same as it was in the 80's,everyone now wants to be a cage fighter,total scum.I wish there was a place like the cat for over 40's as well that place would have been ideal,it would have got alot of custom.I used to DJ (mobile disco) i used to play all kinds of music ,but when the dance floor started to get empty i would just stick on something from the 70'sor80's and it would be full again.Tina charles the nolans used to do it everytime ,you couldnt fail to fill a dance floor with that music.So if there is any millionaires reading this ive got all the plans in my head for our super club just give me a shout LOL.Im putting extra lottos on every week now hahaha ,Ive got lots of fond memories and would love to go back.
Check out www.southshieldsnightlife.co.uk the new website dedicated to south shields nightlife and the party people of shields
homesick
Motor Mouth
Motor Mouth

Post by homesick »

i remember frank hearn on the door.sadly he passed away a few years ago. at one time you couldn't get in without a tie on or denims.i went there from
when it opened til the late seventees and met the missus there.would be great to see some photos.
daryn
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by daryn »

Yeah I would like to see some photos as well ,I met my wife there,our time was the mid 80's,Im gonna see if the wife has any photos,but i remember Frank,he used to look like a film star LOL always tanned and dapper.Someone told me they seen him in a wheelchair at one stage,I dont know what happened a stroke perhaps.Its a shame if only I had a time machine
highshieldsman
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by highshieldsman »

cushy butterfield wrote:OMG The Chelsea Cat brings back lots of memories. Can anyone remember Sunday night which was pie and pea night.......... I entered a Miss Chelsea Cat contest one year. came third haha I LOVED the Chelsea Cat :P
c
Yep, often went there on pie and peas night. A clever way of getting people out on a Sunday. If I remember right tho', they still kicked you out at 10.30, which was the closing time for pubs too on a Sunday in those days.

And the person who thought you got 'lasses' knickers off the same night in the 70s is dreaming. You'd be lucky to get anywhere even after several dates. You had to be almost engaged to go 'the whole way'. I got most of my early sexual experience at university, not in SS. There were very few girls that would 'do it' the same night and they went to dodgy pubs like the Criterion or the Mechanics Arms, and they weren't girls you'd see again.
highshieldsman
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by highshieldsman »

daryn wrote:Well unfortunately the chelsea cat is gonna be a dentists,Im gutted it would have been good to have it back and i think it would have made a fortune if it had gone back to the way it was ,and played all the old 70's and 80's.Just look at glitterball everyone loves the goldie oldies ,never mind if i win the lotto il buy it of them and turn it back hahaha
It's probably an extension of the A1 dentistry centre, which took over the A1 cafe. I've recently spent a lot of time in SS after a very long absence and you can see that dentistry has come a long way. The young girls especially have good teeth, not like in the old days when they pulled your back teeth because the dentist got paid more for extractions than repairs. The bad old days.
martymont
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by martymont »

Chelsea cat I went there in the 72/78 before I got married
daryn
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by daryn »

Well folks checked my lottos tonight and still no sign of a win so Im affraid still no chance of me opening the Cat, never mind there is always next week my dreams of a chava free club down the drain for another week LOL :(
daryn
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by daryn »

Ok folks here is the crack next week 5 lucky dips on the lotto ,buy the dentist out then a free night on me at the chelsea cat all is welcome LOL